Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
England
My father have 2 iPhone, one personal and one from work. He have continuit/handoff turn on. Both iPhone have own number and obviously both will receive call doesn’t matter which phone number caller use. Useful for my father cos he usually forget charge one of mobiles. Sometimes he get unknown phone number and he doesn’t know how tell which number they calling him to my father personal number (he can ignore) or my father work number (possible need call back). Is there way to tell? I can’t seem find any info online so it seems there isn’t way tell.

Edit: Make my post bit clearer who number I am talking about.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
If you are asking how to tell whether an unknown caller's number is a personal or work number, there is no way to tell. Hopefully the caller leaves a voicemail to help determine what action needs to be taken.

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
England
If you are asking how to tell whether an unknown caller's number is a personal or work number, there is no way to tell. Hopefully the caller leaves a voicemail to help determine what action needs to be taken.

I mean how tell if unknown caller call my father on my father personal number or work number.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
OK, thanks, I understand better now. Assuming he has both numbers set up in his personal card in Contacts, here is an idea to try. I do this when I can't tell to which email someone sent me mail, so it works in the Mail app. Maybe it will work from the Phone app too.

1. After he gets a call, tap in Recents and then tap on the small i button to the right of the caller's number and day. This opens the detail about the call.

2. While in that detail screen, on the menu choices at the bottom (Favorites, Recents, Contacts, etc.), tap on Contacts.

3. Tap on his contact at the top. Does one of the numbers have a small label that says Recent?

I can't guarantee this idea will work and I can't test it because I have only one number, but maybe it's worth a try.

Reactions: Jay-Jacob

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
England
Ah yeah I remember email do have that recent thing, forgot about it.

I have test out above but unfortunately doesn’t have recent next to which number after call. Pity. It does seem there no way to tell as far I can see.

Thanks for suggestion try out.

Reactions: 0128672
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.