Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twentyonekoalas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2020
I tried breaking down the box for the 2019 Mac Pro and it's so difficult to break. The box is too well made o-0

randy85

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2020
It was far too big for me to store since I work from home. I did manage to break it down, although it took some force. Feels like it's made out of ply wood. Impressive engineering as far as boxes go.

I would only keep it if you have a garage/loft/basement. I doubt the lack of it would be a deal breaker if the buyer wanted the computer...

TrevorR90

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2009
It was far too big for me to store since I work from home. I did manage to break it down, although it took some force. Feels like it's made out of ply wood. Impressive engineering as far as boxes go.

I would only keep it if you have a garage/loft/basement. I doubt the lack of it would be a deal breaker if the buyer wanted the computer...

I'm not so sure about that, this is just my personal experience, but in my experience macs or anything really, typically command a higher price than those without.

If I buy something used, I always like to get the original box

Also, I'm in the middle of a move and me still having the original box make moving the mac much easier, it seems apple made the original box to both remove the mac and put it back in ridiculously easy.

Reactions: spacedcadet

DFP1989

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
It would never occur to me to get rid of the box. When I have to transport my MP (either moving house, taking away for a project, or selling), you can be sure it will be in that fort knox of a box it came in.

Reactions: TrevorR90

sam80

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2020
It's even useful as furniture. Indeed it's so sturdy that when there was only a small table for keyboard available I've put the monitor on it :)

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Maybe keep the original box. Years from now, if you decide to sell your Mac Pro, having the original box may attract more buyers.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Even the box of classic Mac Pros have a Value of about 40 € when sold. So at least sell it. I absolutely would keep it. I never ship a Mac Pro without the box. Damaged handles are very common for Mac Pros, guess the 2019 is delicate as well when shipped.

Reactions: flowrider

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Yep, every big DT Mac I have sold in the past, I sold and had to ship. Good thing I kept the boxes. I store my MT boxes in my attic.

Lou

randy85

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2020
I live in a city where space comes at a premium, so I would personally prefer not to live with a massive box for 5 years just to make a few extra bucks come the time to sell it, but each to their own!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.