Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tex Tiles

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2023
Hi there, I am fixing my macpro up and have installed a wireless card, but for the life of me can't seem to get those little snap-on connectors to snap on. It's the same type of connector for the bluetooth card.

Is there a trick? they are the connectors from hell. They came off easy (off the donor computer), just can't get them on...

Last edited:

Tex Tiles

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2023
it's okay, after fighting with them for a long time I managed to attach them. they really are the connectors from hell...

spent more time on them than the complete PS swap and macpro teardown and buildup. end of rant.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
I use the finger nail of my thumb, it needs a little pressure, just a lil.

And yes, they drive me mad, sometimes. I even practiced with them, but for x sake when I practice they slide in easily, and when there is little space they wont get in :)

And I did at least a hundred of them…

Reactions: Tex Tiles

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
I always try to connect the wires to the airport module when I can hold it in my hand. If its mounted its way too less space.

Also I need reading glasses and you always have those on your nose what has the wrong strength. And of course, exactly in that moment the old bones start to ache :)

Sometimes it was even so hard that I took off the CPU cage to get more space. I rebuilt plenty of Mac Pros so this is a 10 minutes action.

As I also built a load of 4,1 they got airport. And so the high number of antenna plugins came.

Maybe even more, if I count all those backplanes and cases I swapped.

BTW. I leave the airport cards plugged in the case whenever possible. Guess why ;-)

And if we talk electrons :) Always push hard with the screwdriver when unscrew those little Philips screws of the Airport cards, they are made of soft material and if you dont push hard you have a hard time getting them off if the head is damaged. Never use the wrong tool size for them, n.e.v.e.r. :D

Tex Tiles

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2023
Yes I removed the card finally and put the plugs in removed and then mounted the card with the plugs installed. That was the only way for me.

there's a special place in hell for the engineers who designed these little devils sent to torture us...

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
A well trained person, guess an asian gal with tweezers fingers should plug them in in no time.

Another example, very retro, of course are the gals what mount scale ropes in old radios. This is a job for hours if you do this once. A trained one will make this in seconds.

No offense, of course, I call my wife's fingers always tweezers finger and she helps me often to fiddle in iPhones or such stuff.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.