Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

assmar1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
hello -- i was wondering if anyone could give me a quick tutorial on how to access newsgroups in OSX. i can't figure it out.

thanks,
jim

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Re: how to access newsgroups OSX

Originally posted by assmar1
hello -- i was wondering if anyone could give me a quick tutorial on how to access newsgroups in OSX. i can't figure it out.

thanks,
jim
You are going to need the address of a USENET news server. If your ISP or school has one, then you can use it in MacOS X just like you did in MacOS 9.x or Windows or whatever. You can find a variety of links to newsreaders for the Mac, including MacOS X and Rhapsody, on this web page. If you have M$ Office v.X, you may use M$ Entourage v.X. However, use whatever feels comfortable.

SLJ

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2003
Australia
You need a good newsgroup reader to access the usenet probably, Entourage does not do a complete job....

try Thorth...

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Thoth is excellent, but does need a little savvy to set up well. Most ISP's have news servers, but dedicated servers are better, you may have to pay, but retention of articles and coverage is much better, plus the bandwidth is better.

Try searching "News Servers" in Gooooooogle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.