Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cpthk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
Has anyone tried to activate a brand new iphone with eSIM? I tried to look up on this, but most of the eSIM instructions are about setting it as a dual SIM, or setup on an pre-activated phone. If I buy a brand new iphone without SIM unlocked, does the iphone activation process let me use eSIM? Or could I activate the phone without any SIM and then setup eSIM afterward?

Last edited:

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Has anyone tried to a brand new iphone with eSIM? I tried to look up on this, but most of the eSIM instructions are about setting it as a dual SIM, or setup on an pre-activated phone. If I buy a brand new iphone without SIM unlocked, does the iphone activation process let me use eSIM? Or could I activate the phone without any SIM and then setup eSIM afterward?
You have to call your carrier. At least that’s how it works when I did it. I called Verizon and gave them the information. Basically they need the eSIM information. When they give you a physical SIM they have that information because it’s their SIM. I think the best way to do it is buy the phone from Apple or wherever already set up for the carrier but I’m guessing either that’s not available where you live or you didn’t do that.

Reactions: compwiz1202

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
You didn't mention which carrier.

For Verizon, You can actually do this on your verizon account. If you have one, just log in, then go to Account > My Devices > Activate or Switch Device > Activate on an existing line. From there just enter IMEI2.

Since I have Verizon, this is how I have been activating an esim on mine. I don't need to contact customer services to set up.

Depending on which carrier you are with, you'll need to give them a call otherwise if there isn't an option to do it online.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
This will be more of an everyday thing when Apple eliminates the SIM tray. Thought you could sign up for service online and enter your device IMEI to activate. TMO was tryiing to do self activations right from ipad. Not sure how that went.

Reactions: compwiz1202

cpthk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
You didn't mention which carrier.

For Verizon, You can actually do this on your verizon account. If you have one, just log in, then go to Account > My Devices > Activate or Switch Device > Activate on an existing line. From there just enter IMEI2.

Since I have Verizon, this is how I have been activating an esim on mine. I don't need to contact customer services to set up.

Depending on which carrier you are with, you'll need to give them a call otherwise if there isn't an option to do it online.
My question is not on the carrier side, but on the phone side. My understanding is that a brand new iphone, during the first power on, would not let me go pass the activation process if I don't have a physical SIM inside the phone.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
My question is not on the carrier side, but on the phone side. My understanding is that a brand new iphone, during the first power on, would not let me go pass the activation process if I don't have a physical SIM inside the phone.
In that case, you'd need to have wifi on and be connected to a network.

Reactions: ukms

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Presumably, if you're using an eSIM, that means you still have your old iPhone, right?
If that's the case, just turn on the new phone, bring it near the old phone, and iOS will offer you to do a quick start, transferring data from your old phone to your new phone (and that would include the eSIM info).

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Presumably, if you're using an eSIM, that means you still have your old iPhone, right?
If that's the case, just turn on the new phone, bring it near the old phone, and iOS will offer you to do a quick start, transferring data from your old phone to your new phone (and that would include the eSIM info).

Doesn't work. Tried this a couple times and failed. I had to jump through hoops with Verizon to activate my ESIM.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Was going to say.... I switched both Verizon and Mint to e-sim a few months ago and I didn't have to talk to anyone. There's ways to do this from the account management screens on both. <shrug>. (Not saying it's perfect, but it worked for me).

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Doesn't work. Tried this a couple times and failed. I had to jump through hoops with Verizon to activate my ESIM.
Ah, can't comment on US carriers. Wouldn't surprise me if they would make everything more difficult than necessary. From what I've been reading so far, seems like US carriers really like to screw their own paying customers. :D

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
Something would need to be done with the device or software with Apple. When they release without a SIM tray, then would be impossible. Right now, thought just need sim in tray. Doesnt need to be a live SIM.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Has anyone tried to activate a brand new iphone with eSIM? I tried to look up on this, but most of the eSIM instructions are about setting it as a dual SIM, or setup on an pre-activated phone. If I buy a brand new iphone without SIM unlocked, does the iphone activation process let me use eSIM? Or could I activate the phone without any SIM and then setup eSIM afterward?
Maybe to answer this question. You dont need a sim card in tray or esim active to activate your phone if thats what you are asking. As long as you are connected to a wifi, you can activate the phone just fine and follow setup instructions to get to Home Screen and then yes you can set up esim afterwards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.