Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
USA
So I’m getting my iPhone 13 Pro Max tomorrow from the Apple Store. It is completely unlocked and I’m thinking now how do I activate it on Verizon. This will replace my iPhone 12 Pro Max that I will be sending back to Apple for trade in.

To clarify I ordered it unlocked and not affiliated with any carrier so it will not have any sort of carrier lock or preloaded carrier software. In hindsight perhaps that was a mistake but I’m sure I can figure this out

I’m guessing the easy way would just be to pull the SIM out of the 12 and put it in the 13.

On the Apple website it mentions scanning a QR code for the eSIM. I like this idea better than trying to mess with the SIM card but I have no clue how I would get that from Verizon. I suspect trying to get them on the phone tomorrow would be close to impossible. 

Any tips or advice?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I’m guessing the easy way would just be to pull the SIM out of the 12 and put it in the 13.

That’s exactly how you do it. It couldn’t be simpler. Once your old SIM is inserted into the new phone, the new phone is ready to go.
There’s opinions both ways as to whether a phone should be turned off before removing or inserting a SIM, but since it’s so easy and fast to turn them off / best to err on the safe side / just in case

Reactions: russell_314

russell_314

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
USA
That’s exactly how you do it. It couldn’t be simpler. Once your old SIM is inserted into the new phone, the new phone is ready to go.
There’s opinions both ways as to whether a phone should be turned off before removing or inserting a SIM, but since it’s so easy and fast to turn them off / best to err on the safe side / just in case
I won’t get any grief from my carrier when they detect a different phone using that SIM? I’m guessing I should just forget about the eSIM thing

Poob Bubes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2007
I won’t get any grief from my carrier when they detect a different phone using that SIM? I’m guessing I should just forget about the eSIM thing

Just open a support chat and tell them you would like to activate eSIM on a new device. I recently did this with my iPhone 12 Pro. Once they authenticate your account, they will ask for the phone’s IMEI number. I received a prompt to activate service on the phone and it completed fairly quickly while still on the chat.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Just open a support chat and tell them you would like to activate eSIM on a new device. I recently did this with my iPhone 12 Pro. Once they authenticate your account, they will ask for the phone’s IMEI number. I received a prompt to activate service on the phone and it completed fairly quickly while still on the chat.
I might try this first. I know it seems silly but I feel like the less I handle my iPhone before it goes in the case the better. I’m highly destructive when it comes to breaking phones. I didn’t get AppleCare with the purchase because I plan to add it later

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
So I’m getting my iPhone 13 Pro Max tomorrow from the Apple Store. It is completely unlocked and I’m thinking now how do I activate it on Verizon. This will replace my iPhone 12 Pro Max that I will be sending back to Apple for trade in.

To clarify I ordered it unlocked and not affiliated with any carrier so it will not have any sort of carrier lock or preloaded carrier software. In hindsight perhaps that was a mistake but I’m sure I can figure this out

On the Apple website it mentions scanning a QR code for the eSIM. I like this idea better than trying to mess with the SIM card but I have no clue how I would get that from Verizon. I suspect trying to get them on the phone tomorrow would be close to impossible. 

Any tips or advice?
Step 1: Eject SIM card from iPhone 12 Pro.
Step 2: Place that SIM card into iPhone 13 Pro.

That’s literally it. It is by far the fastest and easiest way. Don’t mess with the whole “activation” hassle. Since you have the 12, you already have a 5G SIM card, so you’re all set.

Also, no you don’t have to power the phones off to do this. You can hot-swap at any time. They will work immediately.

(Source: I do this every year)

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
I have an iPhone 10, so will I need to go to the Verizon store to get a new SIM card that works with 5G?

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
I have an iPhone 10, so will I need to go to the Verizon store to get a new SIM card that works with 5G?

No need to go to the store. If you ordered your phone from Apple and gave them your Verizon information, or you ordered your phone directly from Verizon then the eSIM will automatically activate when you turn on the phone. If you ordered from apple without giving them your Verizon information then you can call Verizon and have them activate the eSIM in the phone.

Reactions: now i see it

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
No need to go to the store. If you ordered your phone from Apple and gave them your Verizon information, or you ordered your phone directly from Verizon then the eSIM will automatically activate when you turn on the phone. If you ordered from apple without giving them your Verizon information then you can call Verizon and have them activate the eSIM in the phone.
Ahhh ok. Thanks for the explanation. Hopefully the phone lines won’t be too busy! And Verizon better not charge me activation fee.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
They will absolutely charge you the $35 activation fee. It’s infuriating.
What?! That’s so ridiculous! All because my phone number didn’t get verified in the set up process of buying the 13??? Now I have to pay $35???

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
What?! That’s so ridiculous! All because my phone number didn’t get verified in the set up process of buying the 13??? Now I have to pay $35???
One time they even tried charging me the “activation” fee for simply swapping my SIM card into a new phone. The whole concept is utter BS.

Sometimes you could call them and get the activation fee waived, but I haven’t had as much luck recently. But since you are legitimately activating a new phone, yeah they’ll definitely try charging you. Keep an eye on your bill. And if it pops up, try calling them anyway and tell them you bought an unlocked phone with no carrier lock. You might get lucky ??‍♂️

Reactions: iHeartsteve

russell_314

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
USA
One time they even tried charging me the “activation” fee for simply swapping my SIM card into a new phone. The whole concept is utter BS.

Sometimes you could call them and get the activation fee waived, but I haven’t had as much luck recently. But since you are legitimately activating a new phone, yeah they’ll definitely try charging you. Keep an eye on your bill. And if it pops up, try calling them anyway and tell them you bought an unlocked phone with no carrier lock. You might get lucky ??‍♂️
Yep it’s just a scam to get more money from people. You can go prepaid but then no Apple Watch support. I’m pretty sure this is some deal the big carriers have with Apple to keep too many people from going prepaid

russell_314

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Well I'm on text chat with them and the person is telling me I need to put the SIM card from my old phone to activate the eSIM... I'm guessing it's India tech support. I wish there was a way to get USA support even if I had to pay extra ?‍♂️

russell_314

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Okay just to update I finally was able to text chat with someone who knew how to do it. He asked for the IMEI 2 number. After that it was a few minutes then it showed an available plan under cellular. I clicked a few things, restarted and maybe two or three minutes later it finally activated.

johnny hotsauce

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2011
Activated my sim free 13 pro earlier, I went to the Verizon site, not the my Verizon app, then account, my devices, activate or switch device, activate an existing line, chose my line, entered my IMEI2 (must use the 2 for the ESim) and was up and running in under 2 minutes.

victoriano1

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2021
Activated my sim free 13 pro earlier, I went to the Verizon site, not the my Verizon app, then account, my devices, activate or switch device, activate an existing line, chose my line, entered my IMEI2 (must use the 2 for the ESim) and was up and running in under 2 minutes.
Did you buy the 13 Pro unlocked? And what was your old phone? I currently have an 8 plus, and I know this one does not support 5G. Worried I might have to actually switch plans for it to work on the 13 Pro. I read somewhere that I could simply turn 5G off on my new phone and then it would work as normal. Any experience with this?

victoriano1

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2021
Step 1: Eject SIM card from iPhone 12 Pro.
Step 2: Place that SIM card into iPhone 13 Pro.

That’s literally it. It is by far the fastest and easiest way. Don’t mess with the whole “activation” hassle. Since you have the 12, you already have a 5G SIM card, so you’re all set.

Also, no you don’t have to power the phones off to do this. You can hot-swap at any time. They will work immediately.

(Source: I do this every year)
I currently have an 8 plus, and I know this one does not support 5G. Worried I might have to actually switch plans/get a new SIM for it to work on the 13 Pro. I read somewhere that I could simply turn 5G off on my new phone and then it would work as normal. Any experience with this? How did you resolve this issue when you switched from a 4G to a 5G phone?

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
I currently have an 8 plus, and I know this one does not support 5G. Worried I might have to actually switch plans/get a new SIM for it to work on the 13 Pro. I read somewhere that I could simply turn 5G off on my new phone and then it would work as normal. Any experience with this? How did you resolve this issue when you switched from a 4G to a 5G phone?
For the switch to 5G, I just activated the new SIM card in the new phone. Your 4G card will work, you just don’t get 5G service. But there’s really no reason to do that since you can just get a new SIM card from Verizon (or even use the built-in eSIM in the new phones).

Reactions: victoriano1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.