Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2011
I've seen this on other people's desktops before, but for the life of me I can't find anything on Google. I'd like to add one of my apps to the right part of the dock. I'm not sure how else to word this. The part with the trash can and downlaods folder, on the right. I'd like the app to always stay there.

How do I do this?

EDIT: Like in this video, Will has 1Password on the right by his folders and trash can. This is what I want!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0Q8ORcD544&feature=player_embedded

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I've seen this on other people's desktops before, but for the life of me I can't find anything on Google. I'd like to add one of my apps to the right part of the dock. I'm not sure how else to word this. The part with the trash can and downlaods folder, on the right. I'd like the app to always stay there.

How do I do this?
Apps go to the left of the dashed line, files and folders to the right.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2011
Apps go to the left of the dashed line, files and folders to the right.

I'm fairly certain I've seen people have something on the right before... there's really no way to do this?

EDIT: Added video to OP showing someone with this set up.

Nathan20

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
I'm fairly certain I've seen people have something on the right before... there's really no way to do this?

EDIT: Added video to OP showing someone with this set up.

That looks like it is from the downloads folder.

million7

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2011
Florida
it could also be a most recent apps stack that you're seeing

you can do this with a terminal command.

defaults write com.apple.dock persistent-others -array-add '{ "tile-data" = { "list-type" = 1; }; "tile-type" = "recents-tile"; }'

press enter

then type

killall Dock

if you try it and don't like it then just drag the folder off the dock. :cool:

Edit: here's the source I got this from. http://www.tuaw.com/2008/09/16/terminal-tips-add-recent-applications-as-a-stack-on-dock/

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2011
Well shoot. I guess this isn't possible. Thanks all. :(

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2011
OK, just so everyone knows, what I originally wanted to do is absolutely possible. In fact, it's a hell of a lot easier than I thought.

Make an alias. Aliases can be placed in the right part of the dock by the trash can. Try it. Simple drag and drop.

I made an alias of the app I wanted, stored it in a folder called "Aliases" in my Documents (you can put it wherever you want, it doesn't matter), and then dragged it to the right part of the dock. Easey-peaey.

Geez MacRumors! Someone should have been able to tell me that. :p

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
OK, just so everyone knows, what I originally wanted to do is absolutely possible. In fact, it's a hell of a lot easier than I thought.

Make an alias. Aliases can be placed in the right part of the dock by the trash can. Try it. Simple drag and drop.

I made an alias of the app I wanted, stored it in a folder called "Aliases" in my Documents (you can put it wherever you want, it doesn't matter), and then dragged it to the right part of the dock. Easey-peaey.

Geez MacRumors! Someone should have been able to tell me that. :p
That's not the same as putting an app on the right side of the dock. As I said, "Apps go to the left of the dashed line, files and folders to the right." All you did was add a folder. That isn't what you were asking in your OP. You can't put an app, or an alias to an app, on the dock on the right side. You can only add files and folders to that side. It's quite obvious that you can add a folder with apps or aliases to apps to the right side, as that's where your Applications folder is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.