Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrjayviper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
I am having trouble synching my books (non-DRMed epub/pdf) and music (non-DRMed m4a) to my iPad.

I've seen guides (like this one: https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/mac-help/mchl562e1847/mac) on how to sync via finder. BUT what I cannot find is a guide on how to add things into my library so I can then sync them into my device.

As a test, I've added some books into the Books app but nothing shows up in Finder/books sync. I've unplugged/replugged the iPad several times already just to check if that makes a difference.

Can you please help? Thank you.

YAZIW6i.png

Last edited:

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I am having trouble synching my books (non-DRMed epub/pdf) and music (non-DRMed m4a) to my iPad.
Easy way:
  1. Restore iPad and Mac.
  2. Sign into both devices with the same AppleID.
  3. Sync is automatic.

You may have accidentally turned off many of the cloud sync settings.
We have not needed to connect devices to each other since late 2011.

Hard way:
  1. Ensure you are signed into each device with the same AppleID.
  2. Update to latest iPad OS and Mac OS X.
  3. Go into iCloud on each device and enable Cloud syncing with books and music. ( this is the part you may not have in sync ).
What is the max version of OS for each device you are using?

Reactions: mrjayviper

mrjayviper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
Easy way:
  1. Restore iPad and Mac.
  2. Sign into both devices with the same AppleID.
  3. Sync is automatic.

You may have accidentally turned off many of the cloud sync settings.
We have not needed to connect devices to each other since late 2011.

Hard way:
  1. Ensure you are signed into each device with the same AppleID.
  2. Update to latest iPad OS and Mac OS X.
  3. Go into iCloud on each device and enable Cloud syncing with books and music. ( this is the part you may not have in sync ).
What is the max version of OS for each device you are using?

I don't want to use cloud sync as I'm on the free/basic 5GB plan. my books collections (some are large PDFs) are going to consume a lot of that free storage.

what I want to use the pre-Catalina way of synching my books via iTunes which according to Apple is possible. Just unsure on how to make the books appear like in the screenshot.

I'm on the latest version on my iPad (13.7) and macOS (10.15.6)

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I don't want to use cloud sync as I'm on the free/basic 5GB plan. my books collections (some are large PDFs) are going to consume a lot of that free storage.
I completely understand. I have a huge collection of papers, books, pdfs as well. I had to step up to the 50GB plan. I felt the $12US / year was worth more than the plug and wait hassle.
Good luck and let us know if you figure it out. I'm sure there are many others having the same issues.

Reactions: mrjayviper
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.