Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Wonder when ATMs will have NFC? Yes it's used for CC so you don't need to hand your card to the cashier. But would be nice that it gets added to ATMs in the future to allow digital wallets to work for most transactions.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
If you're being asked for a pin at checkout its because the cashier selected debit for your transaction. Ask them to run it as credit.

This does bring up the cash back at checkout option though. If they run as credit you have no pin to put in but you also have no option to get cash back.

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
If you're being asked for a pin at checkout its because the cashier selected debit for your transaction. Ask them to run it as credit.

This does bring up the cash back at checkout option though. If they run as credit you have no pin to put in but you also have no option to get cash back.

That is correct. With debit option you have to put PIN on their pads. Now credit no need for that. Used credit feature yesterday at mcdonalds and debit at walgreens. I really like this apple pay. You instantly get notified on passbook. Time of transaction and even location. To those who said its slower than a cash transaction or manually swiping a card...not true. Apple pay is faster.

jestalk

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
Do you have to choose the "Credit" option for your debit/credit card yourself or just tell to cashier before you do the Apple Pay NFC tap?

zamudiovsky

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
The thing is that some terminals are made to ask for PIN and for cash back, is not a problem with Apple Pay but the terminals.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Do you have to choose the "Credit" option for your debit/credit card yourself or just tell to cashier before you do the Apple Pay NFC tap?

It depends on the terminal. Most newer ones ask the customer. Some may require the cashier to ask.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Wonder when ATMs will have NFC? Yes it's used for CC so you don't need to hand your card to the cashier. But would be nice that it gets added to ATMs in the future to allow digital wallets to work for most transactions.

I think this is the future. But it's a long way off. All those ATMs would have to be replaced or retrofitted with the tech. Not a cheap thing. But in the long run, I think so. I'd love it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.