Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
Hi everyone. I didn't see a direct how-to on this, so I thought I'd make one. Also, feel free to share your custom ones.

Arial screensaver / wallpaper file Info:
Use videos files, must be MOV format (you can rename most MP4s to MOV. If it doesn't work, use Quicktime or Handbrake to re-encode the file), ideally looping, 4K and HDR supported, but not needed.
Sound is not needed (probably not used at all), so stripping the sound out will save file space.
I've seen the thumbnails as small as 214×130 pixels, and as big as 1920x1080. Not sure it really matters. I just make a quick screenshot of the video and use that.

Placement and naming:
I'm doing this by replacing one of the already downloaded arial videos and thumbnail. However, I'm sure there's a way to modify the info files, so macOS knows the file is there, and I'm sure someone could write a simple script to do all of moving of the files and info entries, but I've already sucked at scripting, and my way is fast and easy enough.

PS: you need admin permissions to do all of this.

Video (MOV) goes here:
/Library/Application Support/com.apple.idleassetsd/Customer/4KSDR240FPS

Thumbnail (JPEG) goes here:
/Library/Application Support/com.apple.idleassetsd/snapshots

Update:
I'm finding that both the wallpaper and screensaver stop working after some time, and display as gray (what macOS uses when a wallpaper or screensaver is set, but missing). Toggling the option to "Show as Screensaver" off and back on fixes it for awhile. Not sure if there's a way we can fix this, or if it's a coincidental Sonoma bug (this version of macOS has been a crapshoot for me on the stability side of things,. I'm running it on 4 computers, and all 4 have various issues. I had to run the 14.2 beta just to use external drives on my Mac Studio. I wish Apple would focus on quality and stability, instead of feeding us new glittery versions every year!).

I have my halloween themed files attached, inspired by the upcoming Spooky Fast media event.

Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 12.55.14 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 1.15.38 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Apple Spooky Event Teaser 4k Pumpkin Cat THUMB.jpg
    Apple Spooky Event Teaser 4k Pumpkin Cat THUMB.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 173
  • Apple Spooky Event Teaser 4k Pumpkin SMer Background THUMB.jpg
    Apple Spooky Event Teaser 4k Pumpkin SMer Background THUMB.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Reactions: bmw335dA

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
Thanks as well everyone! Please let me knowif anyone has any issues or discovers anything new with this. I notied on my work laptop that the wallpaper goes blank/gray after a few hours. I'm not sure if it's what I did, or just Sonoma being buggy (it's been a really poor quality system version for me).

nzreg

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2009
This is great information, being able to have a custom screensaver was one thing I missed in Ventura.
when you say replace an existing screensaver with a custom one could you explain how to do this.
sorry but I am a real dumbbell at this sort of thing.
much appreciated👌

Reactions: gank41

Komyea

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2023
Hmm, I was able to make a custom screensaver using OPs instructions but also ran into the issue where it stopped working. I noticed when it was only set to play on a single screen (I am running 3 on a 5,1/Sonoma) it worked. Then when I toggled 'show on all spaces' and it broke. Now it just shows black screen even for the wallpaper.

edit: After watching a YT video, i edited my mov to be the same length as one of the built in ones, and that proceeded to solve my problem for the screen saver however, it involves setting the same mov file as a wall paper which makes my desktops all black. Can't seem to get it to work any other way.

Last edited:

Nicky.tbhp

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2021
Hmm, I was able to make a custom screensaver using OPs instructions but also ran into the issue where it stopped working. I noticed when it was only set to play on a single screen (I am running 3 on a 5,1/Sonoma) it worked. Then when I toggled 'show on all spaces' and it broke. Now it just shows black screen even for the wallpaper.

edit: After watching a YT video, i edited my mov to be the same length as one of the built in ones, and that proceeded to solve my problem for the screen saver however, it involves setting the same mov file as a wall paper which makes my desktops all black. Can't seem to get it to work any other way.
I have only MacBook Air M1. No additional display. I made same Time length video as original wallpaper video. I can only run if I keep the option on "show as wallpaper". It goes blank after 5 seconds (1st loop of my video). it will work well after I press some key. Then again it goes blank after 5-6 loops.
Can you please provide the link of YouTube video?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.