Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
I know, it sounds weird, I have an old MacMini from 2010 which I solely use as an uncompressed music streamer to play audio through my stereo system (Mini through USB to a DAC and then to preamp, power amp, speakers), it runs Audirvana which has its own app so that it can be run as a headless computer and browse music off the mobile phone, what bothers me is a couple issues:

- almost every day I want to use the Mini I find out that the computer lost connection to the wifi network (I have a router which broadcasts two different SSID and even tho I moved the preferred one on the top of the list in the network-> wireless options it keeps disconnecting)

- I want to avoid to use a keyboard so I can set auto login in case need to restart the Mini but it still needs a password because of a strange issue, if I want to connect remotely (say to upload new music) through the finder it asks me for a password, if I set OSX to not use one it won't then make me access the computer with screen sharing), so very boring, either I use file transfer or screen sharing, is there a way I can avoid the startup login window and still have a password set so that I can remotely access it?

I know, it sounds complicate, the Mini does just that, music, no iCloud account configured, no email, no photo, nothing, just music to avoid glitches during playback and still it bothers me the wifi loss every day and the password issue

Grazie
IMG_1429.JPG

Last edited:

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
You should be able to have automatic login enabled and have a password. That is how I've always had my desktops set up. I don't understand why you are having an issue there.

As to the wifi disconnection problem…is it connecting to a different SSID when the connection drops? You didn't say.

Do you have a DHCP reservation for the Mini set up on your router's firmware?

Have you eliminated all other wifi passwords from the Keychain Access app?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I know, it sounds weird, I have an old MacMini from 2010 which I solely use as an uncompressed music streamer to play audio through my stereo system (Mini through USB to a DAC and then to preamp, power amp, speakers), it runs Audirvana which has its own app so that it can be run as a headless computer and browse music off the mobile phone, what bothers me is a couple issues:

- almost every day I want to use the Mini I find out that the computer lost connection to the wifi network (I have a router which broadcasts two different SSID and even tho I moved the preferred one on the top of the list in the network-> wireless options it keeps disconnecting)

- I want to avoid to use a keyboard so I can set auto login in case need to restart the Mini but it still needs a password because of a strange issue, if I want to connect remotely (say to upload new music) through the finder it asks me for a password, if I set OSX to not use one it won't then make me access the computer with screen sharing), so very boring, either I use file transfer or screen sharing, is there a way I can avoid the startup login window and still have a password set so that I can remotely access it?

I know, it sounds complicate, the Mini does just that, music, no iCloud account configured, no email, no photo, nothing, just music to avoid glitches during playback and still it bothers me the wifi loss every day and the password issue

Grazie View attachment 1685679
If you have automatic login enabled but have FileVault turned on, you will always be prompted for a password as the computer starts up. That may be what's happening with your computer.

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
Buonasera,

to begin with, FileVault is turned off, I have no password set to login, if I try to remotely connect it through my laptop and hit the "connect as" button on the top right of the finder window and leave the password field empty, as there is no password set, the window shakes and there was a problem with logging in, if I hit the left button "screen sharing" and leave the password filed empty it works smooth.

Also, when I turn the computer one the login window appears and I have to connect a keyboard or through the remote connection with the laptop I have to hit the enter button to proceed.

As by the wifi in the wifi properties window it only appears the 5Ghz network, the 2.4 doesn't, I also tried to give the Mini a static address in the router config but even tho there only are three static addresses set when and apparently no IP conflict when I try to add the Mini it reports an error and I can't go any further but the router is the one which we get off of out cable company so not the most user friendly nor the one you can really play with.

Any idea?

Grazie

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.