Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

isaacc7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2004
OK, maybe a basic question, but I'm having some trouble. In essence, I would like to back up a 45 GB group of files onto DVD. This is a music collection and I'd rather not have to select the songs one by one in order to fit certain groups onto the DVDs. Is there a way to burn DVDs using Tiger that can figure out disk spanning? BTW, if it matters, I would like these DVDs to be read by a windows machine eventually if that matters. I appreciated the help stripping the files out of the folders (the automater actions worked like a charm). Thanks for any info you could throw my way:)

Isaac

Flying Llama

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
Los Angeles
Roxio's Toast 7 features automatic file spanning. It's a wonderful software, I believe it's the most popular disc burning solution on the Mac. You can also burn DivX discs in version 7.

llama :)

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
That will take approx 10 DVDs or 5 Double Layer DVDs, another option is a external harddrive, this way ou could update you music collection as you go.

Flying Llama

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
Los Angeles
Counterfit said:
Of course, why you'd want to make DiVX discs out of your music is beyond me :confused:

Because I have a DivX DVD player hooked up to my TV, and it's pretty cool to have 5 great quality movies on one DVD. ;)

llama

Flying Llama

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
Los Angeles
pknz said:
That will take approx 10 DVDs or 5 Double Layer DVDs, another option is a external harddrive, this way ou could update you music collection as you go.

Yes, I would go with an external harddrive, way easier, just add as you go...

llama

isaacc7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2004
DVDs are cheap...

pknz said:

Yes, I could back up to an external hard drive, is there a way to do that such that both Mac and Windows machines can use it? The other computer is several states away, so I thought the DVDs would be a better option. I was really hoping that Tiger would have a way of spanning DVDs, guess I'm out of luck... Looks like it would about the same price to buy Toast 7 or a new external hard drive, so if the hard drive could be made to work with both machines, I'd probably do that.

Isaac

isaacc7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2004
DeSnousa said:
Yep just make sure the drive is formatted in fat-32 (ms dos). This can be read by Windows and Mac.

Really? That's awsome! So I guess I just use disk utility to format it as fat32 and then transfer everything over, right? I'll order the drive tomorrow!

Isaac

khisayruou

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2004
isaacc7 said:
Really? That's awsome! So I guess I just use disk utility to format it as fat32 and then transfer everything over, right?

Yup, thats what I have going. Fat-32 is called ms-dos under disk utility as DeSnousa said.

isaacc7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2004
Thanks!

OK, thanks again! I've been eyeing another drive anyway, this is the perfect excuse:)

Isaac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.