Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
So, my girlfriend's new-ish 4th generation iPod Touch that has been jailbroken on 4.1. She has nothing but AppSync and Installous installed (I know, I know it's stealing. I bought her the iPod as a gift and she is literally dirt poor. I buy all of my apps and support the developers, and i occasionally buy her itunes gift cards.)

anyways, shes having issues logging into virtually all apps that require logging in such as facebook, twitter, and more importantly, facetime. they give her network errors no matter what network she is on.

My plan is to backup everything on her iPod via SSH and simply restore it to the same location via ssh after she restores. (this is so itll restore the data of her few pirated apps too (also, if restoring from a backup doesn't fix the problem and the needs to set it up as a new ipod, and she needs her app data, photos, etc. Will this method work? Is there an easier way? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
Mentioning that she uses installous is going to get you almost ZERO help. piracy is not taken lightly here as it is very serious. in fact, i dont even feel like helping you now, but since im nice, i will.

first, you better hope you have your SHSH blobs for 4.1. backup the device with itunes. then, use sharepod to grab all of the music off of it. using SSH, copy all of the 3rd party apps (including the pirated ones) along with their app data, which i have no idea where it is. then download an iPod 4G 4.1 ipsw (felixbruns.de has legal firmwares). then restore to the 4.1 IPSW with TinyUmbrella (google around for a guide), and restore from a backup. then copy all of your apps back (save data is stored on a backup).

before doing this you should look into what might be causing your network errors. try the "reset all network settings" in Settings.

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
Mentioning that she uses installous is going to get you almost ZERO help. piracy is not taken lightly here as it is very serious. in fact, i dont even feel like helping you now, but since im nice, i will.

first, you better hope you have your SHSH blobs for 4.1. backup the device with itunes. then, use sharepod to grab all of the music off of it. using SSH, copy all of the 3rd party apps (including the pirated ones) along with their app data, which i have no idea where it is. then download an iPod 4G 4.1 ipsw (felixbruns.de has legal firmwares). then restore to the 4.1 IPSW with TinyUmbrella (google around for a guide), and restore from a backup. then copy all of your apps back (save data is stored on a backup).

before doing this you should look into what might be causing your network errors. try the "reset all network settings" in Settings.

I know piracy is taken very seriously. I'm one of those people who report threads when people ask about Installous and whatnot. I very much appreciate your help. I just wanted to be honest.

Backing up music and the apps themselves should be no problem since they are already saved in itunes. SHSH blobs should be saved through 4.3 at this point.

Further researching this issue, I found this guide which should help me back everything up much easier.

She tried resetting network settings with no luck.

It just came to mind that maybe if she resprung into safe mode, that might help something by disabling third party extensions. I'll have her give that a go and post back.

Again, I understand completely why many would not want to respond to this thread because of the whole piracy thing, and I greatly appreciate you for being nice enough to help out. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.