Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pipppero2007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2015
Hi all,
I understood that the backup folder of iTunes is different from the library folder (that we can easily change).
I want to backup my iPhone not in the same disk of iTunes (C:) but into an external drive USB (G:) where I have much space.
On Internet I find confused workaround and even some program that promise to change that folder.
Please explain me you how to do and explain also a user with a few of GB free on its primary partition HOW can backup an iPhone of 128GB of DATA!!!
Help!

aldrinjtauro

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2014
Birmingham, AL
I guess you could try to mount the drive as the folder that's used for iTunes backups used Windows' Logical Volume Manager. However, you may not be able to use the drive for anything else as the root will be full of iTunes backup files. You'll also have to make sure the drive is connected and mounted properly every time you open iTunes to prevent it from freaking out about a missing folder.

Theoretically, you could create a VHD on that disk, mount it as the iTunes MobileBackups folder, and it would work similarly, but you'd have to do a bit more work to mount it if you remove the external drive.

Pipppero2007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2015
You mean that:

"mklink /J “%APPDATA%\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup” “<Your External HDD>:\iTunes Backup”

If so, I am afraid that it won't run for me because MY C: SPACE IS VERY SMALL so iTunes will immediately tell me that I have no space enough to store the backup because I guess that it will look the free space in C: and not in the E: (USB EXTERNAL HD) space!!!

So, before I test to make a virtual join I'd like to understand what do with the size problem!

Also I ask you:

1) I CAN DIRECTLY INSTALL ITUNES in a EXTERNAL disk?

2) It will continue to backup in the PRIMARY partition?

Thanks

aldrinjtauro

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2014
Birmingham, AL
The thing is, you can install iTunes wherever you want, but it will use your user library to store Application Data (AppData on Windows, ~/Library on Mac). The only way to have iTunes backup anywhere else is to intercept the directory in question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.