Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

somuchfun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2023
Best tool or method to backup current macOS to an external SSD so I could rollback easily and avoid pitfalls?

I love Big Sur and can't get enough of it, but now it's required to get at least macOS 12. But I had problems before with system updates, and now I'm scared to update. I want to take a snapshot/backup or something of my system so I can 99% rollback. And I'm not talking about important files, only about the system.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
macOS itself is contained on a “signed & sealed system volume”. Changes can’t be made to macOS system files. No need to back up the system. Reinstall is how you recover from issues with macOS system. Your user files and installed software is what needs to be backed up and restored. macOS includes Time Machine for backing up and restoring these files but there are plenty of alternate back up solutions. Most folks find one they like and trust and stick with it.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"How to backup macos properly?"

Carbon Copy Cloner
or
SuperDuper

Both are free to download and try for 30 days.
I suggest you try BOTH of them, and see which one you like best.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
macOS itself is contained on a “signed & sealed system volume”. Changes can’t be made to macOS system files. No need to back up the system. Reinstall is how you recover from issues with macOS system. Your user files and installed software is what needs to be backed up and restored. macOS includes Time Machine for backing up and restoring these files but there are plenty of alternate back up solutions. Most folks find one they like and trust and stick with it.
All correct. With the post-catalina way that macOS organizes your boot disk (with two 'grouped' volumes, the system which is locked and untouchable to anything else than Apple and macOS installers, plus the "- Data" volume which contains everything else), the way it works now is that you back up the -Data volume only, and that's what most bacup apps default to, including Timemachine. BTW, I think it's one of the best moves apple has ever made to the OS. Makes for much greater stability and safety, at the cost of some flexibility for us users. (Like, it's no longer an option to have a disk image of say, your previous OS version + all data, and restore it if something goes wrong with an upgrade.)

Should you want to roll back to the previous version of macOS, you would do it with a so-called "USB installer". Lots of guides the web. Basically, you create a bootable external disk, erase the system + data volumes on the internal, and install the OS. Booting from the newly created OS on the internal, your mac will start as if it was new from the shop, and you'd create a new user, or import all the data and user(s) from your backup.

Last edited:

somuchfun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2023
Today I realized I've trashed completely my Big Sur and it even stuck while booting. I want to Time Machine it and make clean install of Ventura. Will it be possible to get only certain files from Big Sur on Ventura using Time Machine?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.