Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I use iCloud for documents and everything because it sinks across all of my Apple devices. The downside is I have files that are only in iCloud therefore not backed up. I know iCloud is probably more secure than a physical drive but having only one copy of a file doesn't give me the warm and fuzzy.

I know I can't be the only one that uses iCloud drive to store their documents. What are you guys using for a back up solution to your documents on iCloud? From my understanding, Time Machine only backs up files on the Mac's physical drive so if they're stored on iCloud, they don't get backed up. At least this is my understanding of how it works so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I have this idea in my head that I could somehow use a Mac mini running 24/7 with an external drive, pulling my files off of iCloud, and saving them to the external drive as a back up. Maybe if they go to the external drive Time Machine can back them up? I need to make this where if I were to delete the file from iCloud by accident it wouldn't also sync and delete it on the backup. If that were to happen it's not really good for a backup. Is this feasible or am I going in the wrong direction? I want something that's automatic and not dependent on me remembering to turn on my MacBook or click something.

IngoX

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2022
Sweden
I have chosen NOT to "Optimize Mac Storage" in iCloud settings on my mac. The whole contents of the iCloud Drive is stored locally and gets backed up by Time Machine. If I accidentally alter or erase a file in iCloud Drive on one of my other devices that mistake will synchronize to the local copy on the mac, but I can recover an older version from the Time Machine backup on the mac.

macos-ventura-system-settings-apple-id-icloud-manage.png

This of course requires you have enough space on the internal harddrive on your mac. The iCloud Drive files (including Desktop and Documents) are stored in the hidden user library folder ~/Library/Mobile Documents

Last edited:

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
You've hit on why iCloud Drive optimization and syncing is worrisome. Can Apple screw up your files? Yes!

Would your plan to buy an additional Mac with enough storage (and capable of running a current enough macOS version)…along with a Time Machine or other such backup…circumvent this possible disaster? Yes! Cha-ching. $$$$

Would you come out ahead if you had bought enough storage on your current Mac and not use iCloud Drive? Probably…and you could buy some Apple stock with the price difference between the extra storage and the new Mac.

CPmav

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2013
Lexington, KY
I have chosen NOT to "Optimize Mac Storage" in iCloud settings on my mac. The whole contents of the iCloud Drive is stored locally and gets backed up by Time Machine. If I accidentally alter or erase a file in iCloud Drive on one of my other devices that mistake will synchronize to the local copy on the mac, but I can recover an older version from the Time Machine backup on the mac.

View attachment 2151659

This of course requires you have enough space on the internal harddrive on your mac. The iCloud Drive files (including Desktop and Documents) are stored in the hidden user library folder ~/Library/Mobile Documents
Do you happen to know if it’s a different file path in a Time Machine backup? I can’t seem to find Mobile Documents in my backup files. (Optimize Mac Storage is switched off, so i assume those files should be included in the backup)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.