Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zupi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2024
Currently, I charge my laptop about twice a day and try to keep the battery level between 20% and 80%. Since I bought it on April 2nd, I've accumulated 12 charge cycles. Is it better to maintain the battery this way, or should I keep it plugged in most of the time and only use it on battery when necessary? I mostly use it at work where I don't need the battery, but I'm afraid to keep it plugged in all the time. However, some say it's better for newer devices to stay plugged in. What would be the optimal approach for my situation?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Charging it twice a day? You must be "running it heavily" and using up some power...

In your case, I'd leave it plugged into the charger when in use, at least some of the time.

Perhaps every second day, take it OFF the charger, and let the battery drop down to around 40%.
Then... put it back on. This "exercises" the battery, but still doesn't cycle it excessively.

At night, I'd suggest unplugging the charger from the wall.
Do this whether you sleep it, or shut it down for the night.

I always shut down at night. No wear on the battery that way, and nothing beats "a fresh boot" the next day.

Reactions: rocketbuc and Zupi

jb310

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2017
I'd say unplug it when it's fully charged and try to avoid draining it completely. That's about the only thing you can do, I think.

Zupi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2024
I'd say unplug it when it's fully charged and try to avoid draining it completely. That's about the only thing you can do, I think.
That's exactly what I do, I usually charge it to 80%-90%, and battery never drops below 20%. However, given how much I use it, I go through a lot of charging cycles, as I mentioned above, from April 4th to today, I have 12 charging cycles.

Zupi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2024
Charging it twice a day? You must be "running it heavily" and using up some power...

In your case, I'd leave it plugged into the charger when in use, at least some of the time.

Perhaps every second day, take it OFF the charger, and let the battery drop down to around 40%.
Then... put it back on. This "exercises" the battery, but still doesn't cycle it excessively.

At night, I'd suggest unplugging the charger from the wall.
Do this whether you sleep it, or shut it down for the night.

I always shut down at night. No wear on the battery that way, and nothing beats "a fresh boot" the next day.
And the question is how well macOS will tune the algorithm to my usage pattern, and if I were to keep it on the charger all day long, and then after I'm done with it, disconnect it from power and turn it off, the battery would be at 100% and rest until the next day when I turn it on again. But isn't it precisely storing the battery at 100%, even just for one night, that harms it?

oasantos1

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2023
Orange County, CA
For me, I just use it. I don't worry about battery health.

Leave it plugged in and use on battery power when you need it. No need to add unnecessary cycle counts.

My MBP (M3 Pro) has learned how I use it, and it will stay at about 80% with the message "Charging On Hold (Rarely Used On Battery)"

Dfds

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2020
Just use Aldente & set it to 80%, if you pay for the pro version there are more options like sailing mode etc.

Zupi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2024
For me, I just use it. I don't worry about battery health.

Leave it plugged in and use on battery power when you need it. No need to add unnecessary cycle counts.

My MBP (M3 Pro) has learned how I use it, and it will stay at about 80% with the message "Charging On Hold (Rarely Used On Battery)"

From what I've read, that's not the biggest battery consumer. If it's kept between 20% and 80%, then it's not a big burden on the battery. However, keeping it on the charger at 100% does present a bigger load on the battery, regardless of the fact that macOS has mechanisms to protect the battery. It's still almost at its limit, and the battery should be used often, as that's how it's designed.

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
Meh. My M1 MBP 14" I bought just over 2 years ago has had the crap beaten out of it utilisation wise and I have never even bothered to worry about that. Battery health is still at 93%.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
I have no proof this works, but here’s what I’m doing. I use AlDente to keep my maximum battery charge at 80% and keep my laptop plugged in as much as I can. Macs switch to using the charging cable for power instead of the battery once it reaches that maximum. So, I’m thinking that’ll save battery cycles since the battery is just staying at 80% while the cable is supplying the laptop with its power instead of drawing the battery down and then charging it back up over and over.

In reality though, I kinda think this battery management stuff is more trouble than it’s worth. We’d probably be better off just not worrying about it. But I understand the desire to, hence why I’m sharing the methods of my madness.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Mac OS is much smarter now, it adjusts to my usage pattern. When I am plugged in all day working from home, it stops charging at 80%. If I am on the road, it goes to 100%. It takes a day or so to adjust patterns. My battery in M1 Max is more healthier than some one who baby sits the battery. Just use it.

Reactions: oasantos1

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Currently, I charge my laptop about twice a day and try to keep the battery level between 20% and 80%. Since I bought it on April 2nd, I've accumulated 12 charge cycles. Is it better to maintain the battery this way, or should I keep it plugged in most of the time and only use it on battery when necessary? I mostly use it at work where I don't need the battery, but I'm afraid to keep it plugged in all the time. However, some say it's better for newer devices to stay plugged in. What would be the optimal approach for my situation?
Keep it plugged in unless you won’t use it for days or need to turn it off. 12 cycles is way too much from April 2nd. The biggest risk is when you store with out using for long term. Apple recommends 40-50% charge, shut down the mac and put it away.
From what I've read, that's not the biggest battery consumer. If it's kept between 20% and 80%, then it's not a big burden on the battery. However, keeping it on the charger at 100% does present a bigger load on the battery, regardless of the fact that macOS has mechanisms to protect the battery. It's still almost at its limit, and the battery should be used often, as that's how it's designed.
Says who?

Last edited:
Reactions: chabig

zerocharlie

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2022
I have a 2021 M1 Pro MBP that is in a CalDigit dock most of the time. I purchased this device new at release. Additionally, this is my main work machine that I use all day for work and even after hours for photoshop and LR.

If you read these forums leaving it in a dock is bad for the battery. Yet I’m still at 99% after 3+ years.

I wouldn’t stress how to safeguard the battery. They are REALLY good these days.

Reactions: teralpar

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
As noted, macOS has improved in battery management:

You could use AlDente, especially if it’s weeks or months between mobility necessity. However, if you do use AlDente, set the limit to 60% — obviously, you’ll need to remember to release the limit and charge fully before relying solely on battery. Additionally, every one to three months, perform a calibration:

1. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter and fully charge the battery.
— Allow the battery to rest in the fully charged state for two hours or longer.
— You can use your computer during this time.
2. With the computer still on, disconnect the power adapter and continue to use your computer.
— When you see the Low Battery warning, save your work more frequently. Keep your computer turned on until it automatically goes to sleep.
3. After your computer goes to sleep, connect the power adapter and leave it connected until the battery is fully charged.

Instructions are derived from iFixit.

Even if simply allowing the OS to manage charging, it’s still a good idea to perform a calibration every few months or so.

Alex Cai

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2021

1. reduce change cycles. (basically plug in when possible)
2. Do not get below 20 or above 80 frequently or for a long time. 50% is the best level to keep the battery.
3. do not let it get too hot.

zapmymac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2016
SoCal ☀️
If you have an old MacBook, I highly recommend getting and/or buying AlDente. It can stop and hold a charge at whatever % you want, keeping your battery healthier. The newer laptops have this built-in, as I recently was informed. Been using it for a few months ✔️😀

• Haha
Reactions: StoneJack

junoreactor

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2019
Surprised no one mentioned this yet:

You can either keep it at 50% forever, if the machine lives plugged in the to wall.
Or, limit the range to 25%-75%. That's a maximum of ~3.9v per cell.

Here's an alias to check the voltage:
Code:
alias voltage='ioreg -w 0 -f -r -c AppleSmartBattery | grep -m 2 Voltage'

Reactions: zapmymac

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Here's a data point for you.
My M2 MBA is 22 months old and has 55 cycles. It is plugged in and running nearly 24/7, in Clamshell mode
I use AlDente or Energiza to keep max charge at 60/70%.
I take it away about one a month and use it as a normal laptop so it runs down to 20% or so.
Current health in Apple Battery health pane is 100%
Current health from Coconut is 97% (a typical difference)

I had two M1 MBA which I treated the same and they were c98/99% Apple health at nearly two years.

Note that not all batteries are the same. My M2 MBA showed 101% earlier in its life so I got a good one.

Reactions: zapmymac

Zupi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2024
Considering that I often charge my MacBook, thereby increasing the charging cycles, I will keep it on the charger for most of the day, and use it on battery for the last few hours to slightly wear the battery as I've read that this is good for its health. Additionally, when I need to turn it off, it will be around 50%, which is optimal. Is this okay?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.