Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

desertman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Arizona, USA
I get sometimes spam messages on my iPhone (like probably everybody else) and usually block the sender immediately without answering - end of story.

However, today somebody sent a spam message to a group of phone numbers, including mine, and I'm not able to shut this conversation down (and to my astonishment most of the recipients of this message have nothing better to do but to answer to it). All of the phone numbers of this group message are not in my contacts. When I go into the details of the message there is no option to leave the conversation or to block the numbers.

Even adding all the phone numbers of this conversation manually to a special "Blocked" contact that I have and that is added to my blocked contacts does not help. The messages are still coming onto my iPhone - now being displayed as coming from my "Blocked" contact.

Is there a possibility to quiet down this conversation?

Last edited:

TechNismo

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2017
6ix
When I go into the details of the message there is no option to leave the conversation or to block the numbers.
When you press the "i" in the circle in the top right hand corner, you should have a option that says "Leave this conversation" in red text under "Hide Alerts". You can put the chat on DND to ignore notifications and mute the convo.
Which iOS are you running?

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
When you press the "i" in the circle in the top right hand corner, you should have a option that says "Leave this conversation" in red text under "Hide Alerts".

It's not an iMessage conversation. He can hide notifications, but he can't leave the conversation.
[doublepost=1516584247][/doublepost]He could also turn on the option to segregate unknown texts. They'll still be there but in a separate tab, and he doesn't have to look at them if he doesn't want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.