Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

farmerabc

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2019
I used a VPN to sign up for YT Premium in a cheap country, using my regular credit card, about 6 months ago. Since then, I haven't used VPN once. I've been accessing the account from all my devices, including an Apple TV, using my regular internet, and they don't seem to care.

I've also ditched Spotify and am using YT Music, which is included.

For this, I am paying about $1.50 per month, and I consider it totally worth it. Also, I'm pretty sure what I'm doing is completely legal.

Reactions: BotchQue

sdtoronto

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2016
I used a VPN to sign up for YT Premium in a cheap country, using my regular credit card, about 6 months ago. Since then, I haven't used VPN once. I've been accessing the account from all my devices, including an Apple TV, using my regular internet, and they don't seem to care.

For this, I am paying about $1.50 per month, and I consider it totally worth it. Also, I'm pretty sure what I'm doing is completely legal.
Sounds like a great hack. However it appears this has since been addressed and it is no longer possible to trick the system

melapple

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013

what country may I ask? I think I tried Argentina but it did not work for me

farmerabc

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2019
Don't want to say exactly, but I live in a rich Northern/Western European country and my YouTube account is in a poorer Southern/Eastern European country.

Subarctic5216

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2024
Ads on YouTube app for Apple TV have made it un-watchable. I have been using my iPad's YouTube app and casting to the Apple TV. Adds still showing up but not a constant interruption and destruction of the viewing experience. Considered YouTube premium but cost$ are not worth it.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
Watch one last ad filled youtube video.
Not sure that works for the YouTube app on Apple TV. I've had a PiHole for years and whilst ads are blocked when using YouTube in a browser, they still come up in the YouTube app (on iPad and AppleTV).

CMoore515

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2015
Des Moines, IA
Another vote for YT Premium. I'm on a family plan for Premium and YTTV and I really can't go without Premium, I've tried. But quickly signed back up.

JonnyBlaze

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2008
UK
Downloaded this but not sure how you go about playing YouTube in the app
It was a little fiddly, and doesn’t work straight out of the box. If you search for Yattee YouTube setup, or similar, there are lots of places that explain how to get it working. I don’t remember enough to tell you how to do it here, sorry. Hope you find the info you need.

Reactions: melapple

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia

melapple

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
I followed this instruction and it really works.

Adding a Piped account helps to recreate “subscriptions” to your favourite channels.
I was able to make it work but sometimes the service is down and nothing plays. The custom location part is also not too clear to me

Wakey87433

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2016
England
Like others have said just pay for premium or put up with ads. If you watch enough YT that ads are annoying then you enjoy the content that some creators are making and they deserve to get some money to offset the time and cost of creating the videos and to allow them to keep making more of the videos you like

Reactions: mallbritton

ThunderLounge

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2006
I run an ad blocker on my router. It's basically just an updating blacklist of ad-related domains. Works an absolute treat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.