Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Resolved!
Thanks for your help!
Since I would like to do a clean installation of Mojave now, do you have a suggestion on how to make a bootable DVD for Mojave installation?
Thanks in advance!

I never make bootable installer for any macOS.

If I want to make clean installation, I will boot to recovery partition, or backup boot drive. Then run the macOS installer, and select a newly formatted drive as destination. Which IMO is fastest and easiest.

DigitaLife

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2019
Italy
I never make bootable installer for any macOS.

If I want to make clean installation, I will boot to recovery partition, or backup boot drive. Then run the macOS installer, and select a newly formatted drive as destination. Which IMO is fastest and easiest.

Thanks!

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
Resolved!
Thanks for your help!
Since I would like to do a clean installation of Mojave now, do you have a suggestion on how to make a bootable DVD for Mojave installation?
Thanks in advance!

Is there a specific reason you want a DVD of Mojave? For Windows it's required because we need to force legacy (CSM) mode, but for macOS it's far easier and faster to use a USB flash drive. The instructions are pretty much the same for all recent releases of macOS. Here's one from MacWorld:

https://www.macworld.com/article/32...-a-bootable-macos-mojave-installer-drive.html (edit: I prefer to use the terminal method they feature on page 2)

Since USB flash drives are cheap and portable I like to buy a new one to dedicate for each major release of macOS to keep in my toolkit.

DigitaLife

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2019
Italy
Is there a specific reason you want a DVD of Mojave? For Windows it's required because we need to force legacy (CSM) mode, but for macOS it's far easier and faster to use a USB flash drive. The instructions are pretty much the same for all recent releases of macOS. Here's one from MacWorld:

https://www.macworld.com/article/32...-a-bootable-macos-mojave-installer-drive.html (edit: I prefer to use the terminal method they feature on page 2)

Since USB flash drives are cheap and portable I like to buy a new one to dedicate for each major release of macOS to keep in my toolkit.

Yes, I need to do a clean installation of Mojave, but from DVD because my graphics card is a Sapphire RX 580 and it does not show the on-screen boot (non-EFI Apple ROM).
I tried from USB drive holding down the key "C" but the screen unfortunately remains black.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Yes, I need to do a clean installation of Mojave, but from DVD because my graphics card is a Sapphire RX 580 and it does not show the on-screen boot (non-EFI Apple ROM).
I tried from USB drive holding down the key "C" but the screen unfortunately remains black.

Sounds like you pick a "non compatible" USB thumb drive.

Try another one may have better luck.

Reactions: dabotsonline

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
You won't get boot screen with rx580 holding C no matter how many times and how long you keep C pressed. Get an EFI card if you want to install Windows .You may be able to "bless boot" the USB from within Windows providing it is an EFI install USB .

Reactions: dabotsonline

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
You won't get boot screen with rx580 holding C no matter how many times and how long you keep C pressed. Get an EFI card if you want to install Windows .You may be able to "bless boot" the USB from within Windows providing it is an EFI install USB .

Hold "C" is the short key to direct boot from super drive / USB, no EFI card required.

Once the installer GPU driver is loaded. The RX580 will display.

DigitaLife

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2019
Italy
Hold "C" is the short key to direct boot from super drive / USB, no EFI card required.

Once the installer GPU driver is loaded. The RX580 will display.

Good news but then how can I solve this problem?
I simply followed the procedure suggested by Apple support using "createinstallmedia" from the terminal to create a bootable USB drive with the Mojave installer.
I used a USB HDD ... can I try with a USB stick instead of the HDD?

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
Good news but then how can I solve this problem?
I simply followed the procedure suggested by Apple support using "createinstallmedia" from the terminal to create a bootable USB drive with the Mojave installer.
I used a USB HDD ... can I try with a USB stick instead of the HDD?

You should be using a USB stick anyway as you only need 8GB. Using a hard drive would be wasting a lot of space.

I think people are getting confused since this thread is about Boot Camp and you've switched to talking about Mojave. With Boot Camp you need to boot from a DVD to force a BIOS mode install. That has nothing to do with GPU--it's because installing Win10 in EFI mode adds multiple, erroneous certificates to the cMP's NVRAM which maybe possibly could cause NVRAM corruption (no causation has been established, only correlation). Legacy mode is the way Windows was intended by Apple to run on the cMP, so it's really the better way to go for most because then you can use the built-in methods to switch between macOS and Win10.

But none of that pertains to macOS itself. With Mojave or any other version you can install it by booting from a USB flash drive, regardless of GPU. As long as macOS has OS-level drivers built-in for your GPU (which it does for the RX 580) you can boot the macOS installer from a USB flash drive. You won't get the Apple logo or progress bar but with some patience it will eventually dump you into the macOS installer where you can proceed to format your disk and install macOS.

DigitaLife

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2019
Italy
You should be using a USB stick anyway as you only need 8GB. Using a hard drive would be wasting a lot of space.

I think people are getting confused since this thread is about Boot Camp and you've switched to talking about Mojave. With Boot Camp you need to boot from a DVD to force a BIOS mode install. That has nothing to do with GPU--it's because installing Win10 in EFI mode adds multiple, erroneous certificates to the cMP's NVRAM which maybe possibly could cause NVRAM corruption (no causation has been established, only correlation). Legacy mode is the way Windows was intended by Apple to run on the cMP, so it's really the better way to go for most because then you can use the built-in methods to switch between macOS and Win10.

But none of that pertains to macOS itself. With Mojave or any other version you can install it by booting from a USB flash drive, regardless of GPU. As long as macOS has OS-level drivers built-in for your GPU (which it does for the RX 580) you can boot the macOS installer from a USB flash drive. You won't get the Apple logo or progress bar but with some patience it will eventually dump you into the macOS installer where you can proceed to format your disk and install macOS.

Thank you so much for your really detailed and exhaustive explanation!
[doublepost=1549519500][/doublepost]

... as soon as I can try again with a USB stick and then I will give you feedback.
[doublepost=1549519551][/doublepost]

... as soon as I can try again with a USB stick and then I will give you feedback.

DigitaLife

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2019
Italy
[doublepost=1549519500][/doublepost]

[doublepost=1549519551][/doublepost]

After repeatedly trying to create a 64 GB stick with the Mojave installer using the via Tempinale method suggested by Apple Support (createinstallmedia) because it continued to give an error during the creation process with Terminal, I had to try with Disk Creator but it only worked by selecting the USB stick from the Startup Disk.
By trying to hold down the "C" key the installer could not be started.
One detail: I formatted the USB drive with GUID partition (not MBR). Is it correct?

DigitaLife

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2019
Italy
OK, done!

Thanks for providing all the required info. This is my version of "how to do it".

1) Insert the Windows installation DVD into the super drive (How to burn a Windows installation disc properly). [N.B. Do NOT replace the DVD by USB installer. It won't work]

2) Shutdown the Mac

3) Hold "C" to boot (if you have NVMe installed, and can't boot from the disc, please try remove the NVMe)

4) Follow the on screen instruction until reach the "Where do you want to install Windows" step
View attachment 797517

5) "Delete" all the target SSD's partitions. In the above capture (downloaded from internet), you can see that there are 4 partitions for existing EFI mode Windows. Select each partition one by one, and click Delete. Be careful, do NOT remove other drive's partition. All partitions should be on the same drive. e.g. In the above example, all belongs to Drive 0. There is no requirement to remove any other hard drive from the cMP. But if you want to play safe, you can physically remove them between step 2 and 3 to avoid error.

Eventually will looks like this. No more partitions, but just a single large piece of Unallocated Space.
View attachment 797518

6) Click New. This will automatically create the correct and required partitions with all available space. For legacy installation, should be only two partitions automatically created.
View attachment 797527

7) Select the newly created partition, and continue the installation.

8) For Windows 10, the LAN line should work straight away after installation completed. So now, you can use Edge to access the internet.

9) Go to https://github.com/timsutton/brigadier/releases

10) Download brigadier.exe (0.2.4)

11) insert a USB drive (this is not mandatory, but just make the command prompt work easier)

12) Format the USB drive to FAT32

13) Copy brigadier.exe to the USB drive (assume it's the E drive)

14) Open Command Prompt (search CMD can find it)

15) type
Code:
e:

16) type
Code:
brigadier -m MacPro5,1

17) Once finished, rename the "Bootcampxxxxxxxxxx" folder to "Bootcamp5"

18 ) type
Code:
brigadier -m iMacPro1,1

19) Once finished, rename the "Bootcampxxxxxxxxxx" folder to "Bootcamp61"

20) search CMD again, but this time right click, and choose "run as admin"

21) type
Code:
e:

22) type
Code:
cd Bootcamp5/Bootcamp/Drivers/Apple

23) type
Code:
msiexec /i bootcamp.msi

24) After installation finished and reboot. Search CMD again, right click, and choose "run as admin"

25) type
Code:
e:

26) type
Code:
cd Bootcamp5/Bootcamp/Drivers/Apple

27) type
Code:
msiexec /x bootcamp.msi
This will NOT remove the drivers, but just the bootcamp apps

28) type
Code:
cd Bootcamp61/Bootcamp/Drivers/Apple

29) type
Code:
msiexec /i bootcamp.msi

30) Let it finish the installation and reboot. And now you can install the hard drives back in.

So now, if you run the bootcamp apps. You should see something like this.
View attachment 797522
Language doesn't really matter, but you can see all the selections.

Those HFS+ High Sierra options will show the hard drive's name (e.g. 8T Backup)

Those APFS Mojave options will show as "Mac" above macOS.

From now on, you can use startup disk in Mojave to select Windows 10 (I renamed the SSD, usually it should shows BOOTCAMP, but not Win 10)
View attachment 797524

And of course, we can use bootcamp apps in Windows to select Mojave.

And have everything working as expected. e.g. Keyboard functions keys, Magic Mouse, BT 4.0, Wifi ac, USB 3.0, etc.

P.S. I am not sure if step 24 - 27 can be skipped or not. You may try, may safe you a minute for rebooting.

After correctly installing Windows 10 as described by you in detail, I can not make the SuperDrive open / close button work (with the Apple extended keyboard)!
Do you have any suggestions?

Matty_TypeR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2016
UK
After correctly installing Windows 10 as described by you in detail, I can not make the SuperDrive open / close button work (with the Apple extended keyboard)!

In windows 10 go to my PC and right click the DVD drive icon and eject.

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011

Never worked for me either. I think I made a post about it late last year but never got any usable solutions. Fortunately there are workarounds but I agree it would be nice to be able to use the dedicated key.
[doublepost=1549901224][/doublepost]
After repeatedly trying to create a 64 GB stick with the Mojave installer using the via Tempinale method suggested by Apple Support (createinstallmedia) because it continued to give an error during the creation process with Terminal, I had to try with Disk Creator but it only worked by selecting the USB stick from the Startup Disk.
By trying to hold down the "C" key the installer could not be started.
One detail: I formatted the USB drive with GUID partition (not MBR). Is it correct?

I never format USB sticks GUID, always MBR. That could explain the issue you had booting from it, or maybe it has no bearing. Someone would need to test both scenarios with the same USB stick and see. Glad you ultimately got it working though.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

I rarely use that key in Windows, but from memory, I have no problem of using the eject key to open the SuperDrive. I will test it when I finish my vacation and back home,

olixsm

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2019
Belgium
23) type
Code:
msiexec /i bootcamp.msi

24) After installation finished and reboot. Search CMD again, right click, and choose "run as admin"

Hello,

When i enter the 23) in CMD, i receive a message who tell "Bootcamp need Windows 7 to run" :-(
Any help is welcome :),

Thanks

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hello,

When i enter the 23) in CMD, i receive a message who tell "Bootcamp need Windows 7 to run" :-(
Any help is welcome :),

Thanks

Shouldn't be like this. One of the reason need this step (but not just double click to run the installer) is exactly because need to bypass that Windows 7 limitation.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Is the disk format MBR or gpt?

MBR
Screenshot 2019-02-24 at 9.37.03 PM.png

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
It's a Windows limitation.

Windows can't be installed into external drives. PCIe blades, AHCI or NVMe are external drives for the Mac Pro firmware.
I have it installed on NVME (copied over as an EFI instal) and it boots. I just installed Win 10 on the internal drive in legacy mode. Next step will be to copy it to the Sonnet pro plus to see if it boots.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I have it installed on NVME (copied over as an EFI instal) and it boots. I just installed Win 10 on the internal drive in legacy mode. Next step will be to copy it to the Sonnet pro plus to see if it boots.
You didn’t installed, you cloned/copied, no problem with that, but there is a serious distinction here. There are various ways to workaround this Windows limitation, but it’s not a supported install, it’s a hack.

hknatm

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2018
You didn’t installed, you cloned/copied. There are a serious distinction here. There are various ways to workaround Windows limitation, but it’s not a supported install, it’s a hack.

I was able to install windows on efi mode to a blade ssd but there were problems and panics. I need windows be on ssd again.

Legacy mode do not support nvme blades even if there is a ssd on pcie lane the install disc doesn not boot (i have mentioned that in my earlier posts here)

What should be the solution to use pcie ssds?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.