Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
I wrote my own simple website quite a long ago and never bothered to update it, it was a window on my boat rental and tourist services agency, it has never been meant to attract customers but rather to have an online presence.

I had a hosting plan with a local provider but it got complicated during covid to keep up with financials and I left almost it all expire also because it was complicated to keep track of it all (exp dates different for hosting plan, mailbox, certified email, domain name...) nor it was my priority but I would now like to rationalise it all and build another simple webpage to feature my services with some text and pics, a mail form and some links to external referrals (trip advisor, instagram, LinkedIn...).

Questions:

- Would WordPress make it easily rather than writing code (I'm not good at that, back in time I used Adobe DreamWeaver for the purpose but what a mess with CSS, links etc...)?

- How do I move my domain to a new provider?

- What do I need to code and test the website locally on my mac or on my local network (I have a NAS which I guess can host websites but that is maybe a way to complicate things)?

Enough to begin with

Grazie

maxsquared

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2009
London
Have you looked at something like square space? Mostly templates you just need to add into. It’s like a modern Wordpress with less fuss.

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
Hello, no I haven't look at that, got in touch with my ex provider/hosting to renew a plan, I need both hosting, domain maintaining, certified email, mailboxes etc, my concern is mostly at which standard to use and which editor to build something simple based on templates, I don't want to bother with code, formatting, css etc but my guess is that this stuff is antique nowadays...

Grazie

maxsquared

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2009
London
Hello, no I haven't look at that, got in touch with my ex provider/hosting to renew a plan, I need both hosting, domain maintaining, certified email, mailboxes etc, my concern is mostly at which standard to use and which editor to build something simple based on templates, I don't want to bother with code, formatting, css etc but my guess is that this stuff is antique nowadays...

Grazie
Square space is exactly that, you don't need to deal with code at all, just matter of uploading.

I think they do domain hosting too. For emails, you can just point your MX record to use Google Suite or office 365 or whatever. It really is simpler version of Wordpress.

StephanieSy

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2021
Technology and the internet change quickly, and often. You should update your website regularly to keep up with the times.

EddieKeyton1

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
I wrote my own simple website quite a long ago and never bothered to update it, it was a window on my boat rental and tourist services agency, it has never been meant to attract customers but rather to have an online presence.

I had a hosting plan with a local provider but it got complicated during covid to keep up with financials and I left almost it all expire also because it was complicated to keep track of it all (exp dates different for hosting plan, mailbox, certified email, domain name...) nor it was my priority but I would now like to rationalise it all and build another simple webpage to feature my services with some text and pics, a mail form and some links to external referrals (trip advisor, instagram, LinkedIn...).

Questions:

- Would WordPress make it easily rather than writing code (I'm not good at that, back in time I used Adobe DreamWeaver for the purpose but what a mess with CSS, links etc...)?

- How do I move my domain to a new provider?

- What do I need to code and test the website locally on my mac or on my local network (I have a NAS which I guess can host websites but that is maybe a way to complicate things)?

Enough to begin with

Grazie

I use to run and work for a web hosting provider. As well as create my own websites & websites for clients. So speaking from experience. If you find a web host that uses cPanel. You shouldn’t need to purchase anything but the web hosting. You can create your email account for free, install free scripts that really help expedite the creation of your website and much more. Wordpress is really simple to work with and very easily updated to add new information. As well as edit information. If you need some personalized help. Shoot me a message. I can answer a lot of your questions and give you a hand in the right direction.

Honest edit I wouldn’t use any of those free spaces to host my website. A lot of them are slow, don’t provide much bandwidth and don’t support a lot of needed back end stuff. You can find cheap web hosting for only a few dollars a month. Hosting that is decent and provides everything that you need.

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
Hello, I used Aruba, supposed to be one of the best italian hosting services, I would buy hosting, mailbox and domain from them, I don't need lot of stuff, I wanna make a simple website consisting of probably a single page if not maybe a couple, a form to send email and the possibility to add content in the future so nothing special at all.

My business is seasonal and tourism related, boat rentals, transfers, excursions both sea and land, hiking, hotel and dining bookings... nothing great, some pictures of the boats, the island's attractions, I basically need just little more than just the presence if you know what I mean and since last time I made the code myself with Dreamweaver and then started to bother with CSS I'd now like something simple since I don't put my hands in that stuff since ages.

Grazie a tutti and to Eddie for the offer, I will sure ask for your advise grazie mille and happy thanksgiving everybody

EddieKeyton1

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
Hello, I used Aruba, supposed to be one of the best italian hosting services, I would buy hosting, mailbox and domain from them, I don't need lot of stuff, I wanna make a simple website consisting of probably a single page if not maybe a couple, a form to send email and the possibility to add content in the future so nothing special at all.

My business is seasonal and tourism related, boat rentals, transfers, excursions both sea and land, hiking, hotel and dining bookings... nothing great, some pictures of the boats, the island's attractions, I basically need just little more than just the presence if you know what I mean and since last time I made the code myself with Dreamweaver and then started to bother with CSS I'd now like something simple since I don't put my hands in that stuff since ages.

Grazie a tutti and to Eddie for the offer, I will sure ask for your advise grazie mille and happy thanksgiving everybody

I’m always somewhere around the forums lurking. Whenever you have any questions or need any help regarding the website and / or web hosting. Just shoot me a message and I’ll do my best to help ya. Heck I’d even go as far as helping you build the webpage if that’s all you want. Just for the fun of it. Seems simple enough.

Hope you had a wonderful thanksgiving

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.