Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

8mrg81

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2019
I am lost. My kid has an iwatch (standalone plan from verizon) which set up as a family watch.He doesn't have an iphone. He has his own apple ID which is a member of my family. I can "control" basic settings of his watch (like schooltime) from the "watch" app on MY iphone.

Now he wants to buy an app. He opens app store, finds an app, clicks get/buy and the iwatch asks for HIS password. I put in the password in (on his watch) and then the watch asks to double click to accept. So I do that. Then it says for a couple of seconds "processing…" and it just exits to main clocks view.

I don't see the app anywhere. Doesn't matter if I've set up on his account "ask permission to buy apps" or not. It never asked me for anything nor is installing anything.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to add a credit card to his wallet or something? (my account which is the "organizer" has a CC in and I can buy apps on my iphone or macbook with no problems)

8mrg81

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2019
Unfortunately it doesn't. They say that on the iphone which was used to setup the iphone, go to watch up and scroll down to see available apps. I am not seeing apps section on my iphone at all. I see settings where I can set up general, schooltime, screent time and few others and then a section which starts with Activity and ends on Wallet & Apple pay. I am not seeing any apps. I was under impression that that's because the watch is setup as a family watch.

8mrg81

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2019
Yes I did. But the thing is that even with "ask to buy" turned off we are not able to buy the app on his watch. It says "processing.." for a couple of seconds and then it just goes to the main screen. It doesn't look like it finishes the transaction but it doesn't gives me any specific.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Did you try different apps? Is the app your son wants watch-only, or does it need the iPhone app to function?

8mrg81

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2019
To be honest I don't know what was that one. But I just tried installing ping pong which seems to be a popular and a free game for apple watch and same thing happens. It asks to double click right button and then it says processing for few seconds and it goes back to main screen. App is not installed.
also every time I try it asks me for the icloud password, is that normal? I've must have typed it 30 times already which is a big pain to do on this tiny screen.

8mrg81

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2019
ok, solved by updating the OS in the watch 😇
Although is there a way for not having to put in the password every time? there is PIN already protecting the watch and with me doing the approvals, the password on the iwatch seems redundant.

8mrg81

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2019
Ugh actually something still not right. I was able to get the free ping pong game but now when I am trying to buy "wrist attack" , a simple game for 0.99 same thing is happening again. Gosh, this thing just doesn't want my money lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.