Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

writevli

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2013
Brussels, Belgium
I bought a 2nd hand phone (which is probably stolen),
I set the iPhone SE into DFU mode and restored it with iTunes. After the set up screen, once it connects to Wi-Fi, the phone remains in “Find My iPhone“ mode and asks for iCloud username & password of the previous/first owner.

Anyway to bypass that activation lock screen?

John Yester

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2015
Contact the owner and have them log into their iCloud and remove the lock from their account.

writevli

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2013
Brussels, Belgium
Contact the owner and have them log into their iCloud and remove the lock from their account.

I'm assuming that the person I bought it from (Facebook Marketplace) does not have the iCloud credentials, if not it would be unlocked and not in “find my iPhone“ mode.
And aside one letter followed by many asterisks @gmail.com, I don't have details of the Apple ID owner either.

John Yester

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2015
Yes contact the person you bought it from. They may have wiped the device, but they didn't remove their iCloud info. It happened before.

Until you get this info, the phone is dead in the water

Reactions: jdogg836

writevli

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2013
Brussels, Belgium
Yes contact the person you bought it from. They may have wiped the device, but they didn't remove their iCloud info. It happened before.

Until you get this info, the phone is dead in the water

I don't know if you understood the first part: the person I bought it from doesn't have the iCloud info, that's where I assumed it was lost/stolen.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I don't know if you understood the first part: the person I bought it from doesn't have the iCloud info, that's where I assumed it was lost/stolen.
No. You said you are assuming.

It’s very well possible they didn’t realize to log out before restoring and selling.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I bought a 2nd hand phone (which is probably stolen),
I set the iPhone SE into DFU mode and restored it with iTunes. After the set up screen, once it connects to Wi-Fi, the phone remains in “Find My iPhone“ mode and asks for iCloud username & password of the previous/first owner.

Anyway to bypass that activation lock screen?

Bottom line... YOU can't. As you've already been told, the owner of the iCloud account can. Also, with proper documentation (original receipt showing YOU as the original purchaser), Apple will. But you cannot.

Reactions: aristobrat

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
You have to pay attention when buying iPhones. Activation locked phones are effectively useless without the username and password.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.