Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaggunothing

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Bangalore, India
So I have two data plans and the problem I am trying to solve is: at a particular location (office) data plan A works well, whereas all other locations data plan B works. Now I have to manually switch which is not a very convenient way. And no the phone does not latch on to second plan since even at location A, signal and data is available though its pretty slow.

Is there a way to automate this based on GPS location, only one particular place I need this to work.

Thanks in advance.

jaggunothing

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Bangalore, India
Found a solution with Automation function, yet to test out but I think it should work.

Automation 1 when I arrive at office to move to service provider A

IMG_4465.jpg

IMG_4466.jpg

IMG_4467.PNG

Then when I move out Automation 2 to move it to B. Just have to check if default voice line it will reset. If not this would be perfect.

jaggunothing

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Bangalore, India
Found a solution with Automation function, yet to test out but I think it should work.

Automation 1 when I arrive at office to move to service provider A

And EPIC fail, does not switch the data plans :) I guess it just reconfirms within the data plan it is on 5G Auto settings 😂

Could have been a very useful feature but not!

tarikfransson

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2023
Create a New Shortcut:
Open the Shortcuts app on your iPhone.

Add Actions:
Create a new shortcut by tapping the "+" button in the top right corner.

Add the "Set Cellular Data" Action:
Search for the action called "Set Cellular Data" and add it to your shortcut. In this action, you can turn cellular data on or off.

Add the "Get Travel Time" Action:
Search for the action called "Get Travel Time" and add it to your shortcut. This action uses Apple Maps to estimate the travel time between two locations.

Add Conditional Actions:
Add conditional "If" actions that check the estimated travel time and change cellular data settings accordingly.

For example, if the travel time to work is less than 10 minutes, you might want to turn off cellular data to save battery.
If the travel time exceeds a certain threshold, you might want to turn cellular data back on.
Customize Actions:
Customize the actions with the specific locations, travel times, and conditions that suit your needs.

Name and Save the Shortcut:
Give your shortcut a name and save it.

Run the Shortcut:
Whenever you want to switch your cellular data settings based on your location, run the shortcut from the Shortcuts app or from the Shortcuts widget.

Reactions: jaggunothing

jaggunothing

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Bangalore, India
Create a New Shortcut:
Open the Shortcuts app on your iPhone.
======
sed on your location, run the shortcut from the Shortcuts app or from the Shortcuts widget.

Thank you for the work around. I kinda do a simple manual thing now similar to this, long press Settings App > Mobile Data > Mobile data and switch carrier.

I was looking at an automated option for this :)

Gareth_1971

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2024
The easy way to do this is to use the location based automation above to run a shortcut. The shortcut action you need is -

"Set the Default Data Line to Plan Name"

This action allows you to toggle whether you are changing the default voice or data line and works perfectly for what you describe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.