Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haganah

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2003
Hello. In a windows environment, I remember being able to access the registry key and change the user information for the owner of office. Is it possible to do the equivalent on a mac and how?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Re: How to change MS Office Registered User Info

Originally posted by haganah
Hello. In a windows environment, I remember being able to access the registry key and change the user information for the owner of office. Is it possible to do the equivalent on a mac and how?
M$ Office v.X is secured only by a serial number. It does not call home for activation, nor does it require activation.

haganah

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2003
Re: Re: How to change MS Office Registered User Info

Originally posted by MisterMe
M$ Office v.X is secured only by a serial number. It does not call home for activation, nor does it require activation.

:) No I meant the name, company, serial screen that comes up in the beginning. Say I had written IBM as the company and changed my company later and wanted to also change that info on that screen, how would i do it?

I was able to search microsoft.com and found an answer. You delete 2 files in there (one from your preferences and the other is an invisible file called officeipd or something close to that). Once you do that, you restart any office app. I restarted MS Word and as soon as it started it pretty much ask me for my name, company, and serial number. So that's how you do it.

slowtreme

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2003
Tampa FL
I was never able to get Office v.X to change the registered user info. I deleted the files but then EVERY time I restarted I had to enter it all over again. I tried for 6 months to find a work around (my CDROM was unreadable).

Eventually I just contacted MS, had them send me a new CD (no charge) and I reinstalled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.