Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnsteave77

Suspended
Original poster
May 12, 2021
How to check what is age of Computer? When did It installed it for the first time? I am in search of this because I am going to buy a second hand laptop and I wanna check it's orignal date.

esbardu

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2020
España
If the HDD has not been replaced you can check overall usage. As an example, I have just bought a 2006 Mac Mini and I have found out that it has only been used 300 days with an overall usage of less than 1.000 hours.
But you need access to the laptop to check this, you can use DriveDX to check these values.
It's not what you are asking for but maybe it could help you.

Reactions: Flint Ironstag

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Since this is in alternatives to Mac hardware. You'll have to see if there is some serial number translator for whatever brand you are interested in.

Other than that manufacturers typically switch up models frequently. So, if you look up the full model number. You'll likely know about when it was built. At least within 6 months to a year depending on the model.

I'd be more worried about the physical condition of the laptop, battery health and the laptop's specs than the actual age. Those are far more important indicators of whether or not it'll be reliable and meet your needs.

Reactions: MacCheetah3

esbardu

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2020
España
Since this is in alternatives to Mac hardware. You'll have to see if there is some serial number translator for whatever brand you are interested in.

Other than that manufacturers typically switch up models frequently. So, if you look up the full model number. You'll likely know about when it was built. At least within 6 months to a year depending on the model.

I'd be more worried about the physical condition of the laptop, battery health and the laptop's specs than the actual age. Those are far more important indicators of whether or not it'll be reliable and meet your needs.
You are right, nevertheless checking HDD usage is also a good option if the HDD is still the original one, for non Apple HW there are several alternatives like CrystalDiskInfo.

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
I generally look at the model number of the cpu, do an internet search for when it was first manufactured, and assume that as a date of first use.

romanof

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2020
Texas
I generally look at the model number of the cpu, do an internet search for when it was first manufactured, and assume that as a date of first use.
You are correct. I just did a major upgrade to my favorite PC (Speed bump from 3 to 5 mhz) and retrieved the old processor to give it a look. 1977 as opposed to the new one - 1979. Really fast now.

8085.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.