Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewBench

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I've been looking at a few second hand 12 Pros at a store near me. One of the things I look for is whether the screen is the original OLED panel or not, but it can be hard to check this especially without a genuine OLED screen to compare it to and under the bright lights of a store. What are the best ways to check this when looking at a device?

One thing I tried was pulling up the solid black wallpaper that Apple include, but I still couldn't tell whether the blacks were deep enough.

Should the black wallpaper blend seamlessly into the black bezel, or will it be a shade lighter even on a genuine panel?

Thanks

NewBench

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Thanks @Banglazed - I'm going back to the store tomorrow, I don't recall there being any warning messages about non-genuine parts but didn't see what version of iOS it was running. If it was running anything prior to 15.2 then it wouldn't show that message.

Does anyone know if third party repairers are able to bypass this warning message so it doesn't appear, or will a non-genuine display always be detected by iOS after 15.2?

lostPod

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2022
I had one of my phone's screen replaced with SquareTrade (horrible) -- they had me go to this random store. The screen they replaced it with was def not Apple's. You could tell by tilting the phone to the side and the display would almost go black -- no wide views. Hopefully that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.