Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shah1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
Purchased a used XS last week that still has warranty on it till early next month. Took it into Apple to today to see if there was any chance of having the phone swapped with it still being under warranty. Initially the Genius bar guru ran his checks to see if he could find any faults that I'd disclosed which he was unable to do as the phone had been reset prior to taking it in. He then suggested doing a firmware reset which I agreed to. Once he plugged the phone into his Mac, he advised me that the phone was purchased in Hong Kong therefore they (UK) Apple store could not cover me from a hardware perspective due to the dual sim differences. However when I got home to check the sim tray, it looks no different to my UK 6s!! So a little confused... Any ideas?

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
Have a look at this page. It explains the difference between the different models of iPhone. if you compare the ‘model number’ of your iPhone (in Settlings > General > About) to the ‘part list’ information on that page, you will be able to see which country it came from originally.

The Apple Genius is probably alluding to the eSIM features of the phone, rather than the physical SIM. But that is just blather, in my opinion. The bottom line is that Apple UK and other Apple subsidiaries are different legal entities. They don’t need to honour the warranty for a product bought from a different entity.

I bought an iPad case when I was in the USA on business, and it came apart shortly after purchase. I took it to a UK Apple store, along with my receipt. The store member said that, since it was bought from Apple US they weren’t obliged to replace it, but out of good will they would. I suspect there is a lot less good will when exchanging an ~£800 phone...

Reactions: shah1

shah1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
Have a look at this page. It explains the difference between the different models of iPhone. if you compare the ‘model number’ of your iPhone (in Settlings > General > About) to the ‘part list’ information on that page, you will be able to see which country it came from originally.

The Apple Genius is probably alluding to the eSIM features of the phone, rather than the physical SIM. But that is just blather, in my opinion. The bottom line is that Apple UK and other Apple subsidiaries are different legal entities. They don’t need to honour the warranty for a product bought from a different entity.

I bought an iPad case when I was in the USA on business, and it came apart shortly after purchase. I took it to a UK Apple store, along with my receipt. The store member said that, since it was bought from Apple US they weren’t obliged to replace it, but out of good will they would. I suspect there is a lot less good will when exchanging an ~£800 phone...

Brilliant thanks for that. So it does turn out that the model of phone I have is one they've made for the US, Canada, Puerto Rico and Hong Kong but does not have the physical dual sim feature. Irrespective of this, Apple UK will not cover me from a hardware point... So screwed should anything serious happen with the phone.
[automerge]1573413858[/automerge]
Model: A1920

Factory: C39 - China - Foxconn

Year: 2018

Week: 45 (05.11 - 11.11)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.