Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MyRomeo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
So real dad problem here, little one (1 year old) has managed to get her hands on the wife’s iPhone 7, chewing and dribbling all the speaker and mic holes... result, all gunked up and sound really low and distorted. It’s probably knackered but I ain’t upgrading my XS until I see what the 12 has to offer so she is stuck with the 7 until then.

any tips on how to clean the mesh out without causing further damage? whatever is in there has probably set in all the dribble...

Sparkymoto

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
So real dad problem here, little one (1 year old) has managed to get her hands on the wife’s iPhone 7, chewing and dribbling all the speaker and mic holes... result, all gunked up and sound really low and distorted. It’s probably knackered but I ain’t upgrading my XS until I see what the 12 has to offer so she is stuck with the 7 until then.

any tips on how to clean the mesh out without causing further damage? whatever is in there has probably set in all the dribble...
So she has to be stuck with a crappy phone till YOU get an even better one than the X? Not something I'd ever do, but to each their own.

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
You can try using a dense brush (like a tooth brush) to brush out any debris that is stuck in the ports and speaker/mic holes. It usually does a good job at clearing out the gunk that may be stuck there.

MyRomeo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Thanks for the suggestions, shall give both a try.

for what it’s worth I upgrade every couple of years and she gets my hand down. It’s more affordable for us this way and she is more than happy with my usually pristine phone. Judge all you like. Happily married and a phone won’t change that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.