Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

f41dh1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
Hi guys, I am new Mac user and I have my first Apple notebook, a black Macbook 13 inch. So far, I love every inch of it and still getting to familiar the system.

The problem with my macbook is the dusts and fingerprints are everywhere. I make sure I clean my hands before I touch my macbook but they are still there. At that time, I am so thankful I bought the black one instead of white. So, I use the spray that I use to clean my glasses to clean my macbook. I only did it once because I'm afraid it will effect the laptop.

Is there any other way or specific product to clean it??

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
f41dh1 said:
Hi guys, I am new Mac user and I have my first Apple notebook, a black Macbook 13 inch. So far, I love every inch of it and still getting to familiar the system.

The problem with my macbook is the dusts and fingerprints are everywhere. I make sure I clean my hands before I touch my macbook but they are still there. At that time, I am so thankful I bought the black one instead of white. So, I use the spray that I use to clean my glasses to clean my macbook. I only did it once because I'm afraid it will effect the laptop.

Is there any other way or specific product to clean it??

I used to clean mine with a soft microfiber cloth and it was just fine, applying something like a tad of water (like just enough to make it moist) or something like the spray you mention should get the really tough spots. Thankfully MBP is anodized and doesn't suffer from this :)

Sequence

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2006
I use iKlear and for all these hard-to-get-to spots where you can see dust, I use a can or air duster (you can buy these at staples or whatever office store you guys have in the US. This product is made by 3M...

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
someone told me the compressed high pressure air can has oil in it........

Sequence

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2006
There's no oil, I can breathe the air that comes from it and it's regular "air". If you turn the bottle upside down, there's ice that comes out from it and its so freaking cold that it burns the skin. Might be the chemical that "produce" the air.

topgun072003

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
that's mostly carbon dioxide that they use to compress the air. I wouldn't turn the bottle upside down too much. If you read the back label it says that it can cause cancer if applied to the skin.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Sequence said:
There's no oil, I can breathe the air that comes from it and it's regular "air". If you turn the bottle upside down, there's ice that comes out from it and its so freaking cold that it burns the skin. Might be the chemical that "produce" the air.

It gets cold because it is going from a high pressure state to a low pressure state. And yes to topgun- don't touch it or open the bottle.

thugpoet22

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2005
New York
Isn't it just oxygen under very high pressure. Kinda like dry ice. Notice if you spray it on a surface and some of them material gets on it, it will simply go away after a while. Like with dry ice, when it melts it looks smokey. If its compressed "air" then it should be oxygen.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
thugpoet22 said:
Isn't it just oxygen under very high pressure. Kinda like dry ice. Notice if you spray it on a surface and some of them material gets on it, it will simply go away after a while. Like with dry ice, when it melts it looks smokey. If its compressed "air" then it should be oxygen.

Compressed air is just a moniker. Usually it is some weird compound.

ecksmen

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2006
thugpoet22 said:

Air & Oxygen are not one in the same. Air is what we breath, but it's not made up soley of Oxygen. Air is lardgly made of nitrogen (78%) and oxygen (21%) the remander being made up of small amounts of argon, carbon dioxide, hydrogen, etc... So if the can did contain Air, then Oxygen would be in short supply - but still enough for humans.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.