Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gogreen1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2017
How do I clean up my system profile? I've been told by a customer rep from a company whose software I often use that my system profile has "6 Finder apps listed for you and 5 of them are version 10.13.6." I had sent several log files to analyze a problem I was having. I suspect that my initial transfer of Windows files from a Windows 10 computer to an iMac last year and my total newness to MacOS and to setting up my iMac contributed--or probably created--this problem.

I use CCleaner, I empty my caches often, and I use Onyx regularly.

Anyway, how do I otherwise clean up my profile and the multiple instances of Finder that were reported to me?

Last edited:

nollimac

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2013
The "6 finder app" is not making sense...did you install them? You can run EtreCheck to see whether those "Windows files" placed spyware on your system. I hope that "company software" you use has Apple's approval that you download via the Apple store or the company has a highly trusted reputation...did you gave that company rep accesses to your computer...why!

vgoutis

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2018
Athens, Greece
My lucky guess is that gogreen1 means something like the user profile that exists in windows. In windows 10 there are freequent problems with user profile and some times you need to create it again.
"Finder Apps" don't make any sense to me either. Maybe a screenshot will help.
For the rest I will agree with nollimac...

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr_Brightside_@

gogreen1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2017
Thanks, all, for your comments and insights. The software I'm talking about is Finale, a music notation program published by MakeMusic.com. I did not give the company access to my computer, nor would I ever do that. The customer rep gleaned the information from .spx and crash log files that I had sent (the program crashes with certain operations). After thinking about this some more, I think the multiple instances to which he referred were taken from my System Report > Software listing, which shows several instances of the same files because they are on my hard drive and on my TimeMachine and Carbon Copy Cloner drives. They're supposed to be there.

So far, after further consideration, I've found nothing unusual about any of it--not from a MacOS standpoint. So I'm now waiting to hear back from the customer rep on the support ticket I had filed.

Thanks again, all. Fortunately, I this all may be a MacOS false alarm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.