Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2015
I purchased three iPads for our company use. We use them in aircraft for our charts and paperwork. Each and every single time we open them there’s pop ups about two factor ID, passcodes, and other endless sh$@ that is driving us crazy.

All I want is a tablet that’s stock, minimal, that we can keep our flight charts and manuals on. I want to factory reset these things and get rid of all then super annoying bullish!t. How do I go about doing this? Once reset how do I make it so there are no passcodes or anything and all these pop ups stop. It might not seem like a big deal to people but it can get pretty difficult trying to hit “ok” or “close” over and over when in turbulence just so I can see my charts. The FAA requires we not have any lock screens or things like that so anyone that grabs it can use it to help pilot the craft and have access to all the manuals.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
You can turn off the Passcode per Apple's instructions below, but if there are other apps requiring 2FA, you may need to review those specific app settings.

"On iPhone X and later, or iPad with Face ID, go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode. On earlier iPhone models, go to Settings > Touch ID & Passcode. On devices without Touch ID, go to Settings > Passcode.

You'll find several settings and options:
  • Turn Passcode Off: Tap this option to turn off your passcode."

Reactions: Username Here

wwchris

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
Atlanta, GA
What he said about Turing off passcodes above. On two factor auth, is it possible that you are sharing an iTunes/iCloud account across all of those devices? If so, every time a new devices logs in it will ask you to authenticate on one of the already authenticated devices. Once they are all logged in the should go away. Instead of dismissing them, just be sure to follow the steps and it should stop once everything is authenticated.

I'm not sure what kind of software you are putting on there, but if it is a shared account with software from the App Store, you may still need to verify if you use the same account on all devices.

You might also be seeing location services alerts (a new thing so people know when apps are accessing their location). Those go away after the first few approvals as well.

However, I believe you can create an iCloud account without two factor auth by following this link - https://support.ikeymonitor.com/hc/...n-off-two-factor-authentication-for-Apple-ID-

If you need a truly "dumb" tablet, don't login with any accounts at all, just reset the tablet under system settings > General > reset > erase all content and settings and when you set it up fresh skip any setup tasks (usually tiny text below the Giant buttons). This will remove all software and you will have to put it back on again.

Finally, you can always just put the devices into permanent do not disturb. Just turn it on and maker sure you set silence to always. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204321

Reactions: tranceking26

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I purchased three iPads for our company use. We use them in aircraft for our charts and paperwork. Each and every single time we open them there’s pop ups about two factor ID, passcodes, and other endless sh$@ that is driving us crazy.

All I want is a tablet that’s stock, minimal, that we can keep our flight charts and manuals on. I want to factory reset these things and get rid of all then super annoying bullish!t. How do I go about doing this? Once reset how do I make it so there are no passcodes or anything and all these pop ups stop. It might not seem like a big deal to people but it can get pretty difficult trying to hit “ok” or “close” over and over when in turbulence just so I can see my charts. The FAA requires we not have any lock screens or things like that so anyone that grabs it can use it to help pilot the craft and have access to all the manuals.
Assign them to an MDM (mobile device manager) and manage them as a business (corporate) device.

The other advice is also valid, but requires end users ( pilots ) to be iOS administrators as well. I'd prefer you to fly and let someone else manage the devices. Easy to push apps, nav charts, ect via MDM. Business managed devices have many more settings/controls than standard consumer managed devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.