Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

watcher00090

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2023
Hi,

How do I configure Time Machine to back up the /private/var/log/db directory? I'm using MacOS 10.13.6 High Sierra.

Thank you,
James Pedersen

watcher00090

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2023
Even after editing the /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd.bundle/Contents/Resources/StdExclusions.plist file, Time Machine is still not backing the folder up.

watcher00090

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2023
I'm sorry, I got confused, actually the folder which I have been trying to back up is /private/var/log rather than /private/var/log/db .

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I'm in Ventura and when I'm in the /private/var/ directory and "Browse Time Machine Backups" it looks like it has been backed up. The modified date for the /private/var/log folder is older and older as I browse back through the backups.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
You're right…and using the Finder I can't even copy the folder and its contents to another location.

I'm not technical enough to explain what's going on there. I guess it has something to do with the files being owned by "root"?

watcher00090

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2023
No, it's not that. It seems like the path /private/var/log is explicitly excluded in the code of the Time machine binary

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.