Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Change Agent

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
Both machines are in the same network and connected over Ethernet per CAT7 cable. They are in different rooms of my house.

I have been able to see the screen of the Mac mini on the TV. No problem there. However, how do I operate the Mac mini while watching it on the TV. My TV remote cannot do anything with the cursor etc. Why do I want this? The Mac mini is connected to the internet via a VPN service, and I want to stream content from other countries over it and watch it on the TV.

Is there a way to control the Mac mini from the TV?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Is there a way to control the Mac mini from the TV?
No. You can't control a Mac from a TV. You can operate the Mac remotely using screen sharing from another Mac, an iPad, and iPhone, or a PC – all while displaying the Mac Mini's screen on the TV. But the TV will only be a display.

Or...just display the Mini on the TV and control it from the couch using a bluetooth trackpad and keyboard.

Reactions: ignatius345

Mr.Ben

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2022
As @chabig said, you can use your Bluetooth mouse and keyboard while the Mac is connected to the TV - same as you would with any external monitor. My Mac Mini is connected by hdmi to the TV. This obviously means it has to be in the same room though. If you want to send content to the TV wirelessly with the Mac in another room, you could try AirPlay mirroring. You can do this with Apple TV or you may find your Samsung TV has AirPlay functionality if it's new enough. 👍

Reactions: chabig

Change Agent

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
No. You can't control a Mac from a TV. You can operate the Mac remotely using screen sharing from another Mac, an iPad, and iPhone, or a PC – all while displaying the Mac Mini's screen on the TV. But the TV will only be a display.

Or...just display the Mini on the TV and control it from the couch using a bluetooth trackpad and keyboard.
Ok Thanks and clear.

Change Agent

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
As @chabig said, you can use your Bluetooth mouse and keyboard while the Mac is connected to the TV - same as you would with any external monitor. My Mac Mini is connected by hdmi to the TV. This obviously means it has to be in the same room though. If you want to send content to the TV wirelessly with the Mac in another room, you could try AirPlay mirroring. You can do this with Apple TV or you may find your Samsung TV has AirPlay functionality if it's new enough. 👍
I look in to the Bluetooth KB etc. Not sure if my MM is too far away.

Reactions: Mr.Ben

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I am not speaking from immediate experience but back when, there used to be "rf" keyboards and mice with a USB dongle. Some of these rf keyboards didn't need line of sight like IR nor as week as bluetooth. You might want to investigate if they work these days from a distance as you have mentioned in your home scenario. Candidly, I would just put the Mini in the room with the TV. An older refurb Mini might be a reasonable option as well.

Change Agent

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
IR does no longer work for any Mac. was abandoned long ago.

I have a IR dongle for my laptop so i can use the old Apple IR remote control when I do presentations. I will check if it works with the MM. but I doubt it given the distance and there being doors in between. Moving the MM is not an option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.