Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

antdawe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
Not sure if this is a glitch but my imessage tone volumes is independent from the ringtone volume.

My ringtone volume is on full.

my media volume (from games, music, safari etc) is on low

if a new iMessage comes through it uses the volume from the media volume and not the ringtone volume. How strange?

is this just me?

Thanks

aarmstrong27

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
I just tested this.

Ringer volume high, media volume high (but not running). iMessage alert was high.
Ringer volume high, media volume low (but not running). iMessage alert was high.
Ringer volume high, media volume low (and playing music). iMessage alert was low.

Might be set up that way to not impose on media being played. Especially if you have your earbuds in, listening at low volume; you wouldn't want a super loud alert. Just a though....

antdawe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
I just tested this.

Ringer volume high, media volume high (but not running). iMessage alert was high.
Ringer volume high, media volume low (but not running). iMessage alert was high.
Ringer volume high, media volume low (and playing music). iMessage alert was low.

Might be set up that way to not impose on media being played. Especially if you have your earbuds in, listening at low volume; you wouldn't want a super loud alert. Just a though....

No, your second example doesnt work like that for me.

for me its ringer volume high, media volume low (not running). iMessage alert is low.

Strangeeee

----------

ok, just done a reset and it works normal again now.

must have been some sort of minor glitch. oh well, hope it doesnt happen again.

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
[/COLOR]ok, just done a reset and it works normal again now.

must have been some sort of minor glitch. oh well, hope it doesnt happen again.[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear its fixed! :D

hMhcdn

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2016
Similar but ....my volume is at max on iPad air2 -- media is OFF. --
And NEVER hear alerts for iMessage after resetting/turning off/email volume is fine.
If I turn on music it's ear bustingly loud. Been through every alert style and none are loud enough to hear iMessage or FaceTime... Missing FT calls!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.