Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

isisism

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2016
Hi. I'm copying all my internal drive material to an external drive. One of my internal drives as two partitions, one with data on it and one that is a HDD clone that I had made. I would like to keep this HDD clone intact and have it as a partition on my new external drive. How do I go about copying it over so that it will function as it should?

I have partitioned the external drive and created a partition for the clone. Can I just use Forklift to copy everything over or is there a special way I need to do this to retain the ability to use the clone properly?

Also, the original partition I had made for the clone was 250gb but it only used 55gb of space, so I want to make the partition on the external 65gb so as not to waste space. Is this doable?

The HDD clone is of Snow Leopard and I'm using a system running 10.7.5 to copy everything.

Thanks!

isisism

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2016
I'm not familiar with that. Will it let me shrink the volume down to 65gb from 250gb and keep it as a bootable image/clone? I watched a short video on it but didn't see that done in that video.

Or, alternatively, can I use Disk Utility to shrink my HDD image/clone down before copying it?

Last edited:

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
oh i don't know. i think super duper would just copy the entire drive bit for bit and not shrink or expand it

Mess-I-Ah

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010
Earth
Just ordered my first Mac, a 13 in Retina MacBook Pro, and want to upgrade the 128 HD it comes with. Can anybody point me in the right direction or provide resources that would be the best way for me to clone the HD/OS and copy it to the new one, when I get it?

Forum-User

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2009
Just ordered my first Mac, a 13 in Retina MacBook Pro, and want to upgrade the 128 HD it comes with. Can anybody point me in the right direction or provide resources that would be the best way for me to clone the HD/OS and copy it to the new one, when I get it?
Last year I upgraded a 2013 Retina MacBook Pro by cloning the internal SSD to an external HDD using Carbon Copy Cloner, although Super Duper would also work. I then replaced the internal SSD with the larger one, booted from the external HDD, & cloned back to the new internal SSD.

I find it interesting you would purchase with a small drive wanting to upgrade, rather than just purchasing with a larger drive. Not always easy to find same-speed, compatible SSD's in larger capacities through third-parties.

Reactions: Weaselboy

Mess-I-Ah

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010
Earth
Last year I upgraded a 2013 Retina MacBook Pro by cloning the internal SSD to an external HDD using Carbon Copy Cloner, although Super Duper would also work. I then replaced the internal SSD with the larger one, booted from the external HDD, & cloned back to the new internal SSD.

I find it interesting you would purchase with a small drive wanting to upgrade, rather than just purchasing with a larger drive. Not always easy to find same-speed, compatible SSD's in larger capacities through third-parties.
Thanks for the information. Scored brand new one for 1k. It'll be cheaper just to upgrade

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.