Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cap_walker_666

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
I'm recycling some donated computers that Goodwill here resells. Of course these have reached the end of their lifecycle so they usually only support snow leopard. The next step is trying a more recent OS.

My first step was to use the standard method to create a USB that would install LION. Createinstallmedia. Then I put it in the machine boot with the ALT key, choose the installer when the options appear. Then it boots right back ... to Snow Leopard .

So I try creating a truly bootable USB. I verify them by using System Preferences > Startup Disk to see if it appears. The easiest way I've found has been to use Disk Utility to restore a DMG image to the USB drive. If one isn't online I use the INSTALLESD.DMG from the installer.

I do this because the new installers available now also don't create a bootable disk. In addition to testing for STARTUP DISK there should be a BOOT.EFI file in the System/Library/Coreservices directory. Even then this method isn't 100% effective.

My next step would be to boot one of my known good machines into Recovery and target the USB. Coincidentally all my other machines run either Sierra, High Sierra or Big Sur. Neither is supported on the machines I'm working up.

So I'm looking for two answers

1) Why won't these techniques produce a bootable USB ?
2) Since these methods haven't worked, what will ?

[I've created a new, separate, thread since it has to do with the boot process and various computers. If this is in violation of forum guidelines please let me know.]

mystery hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2021
My question is off topic but, why are you trying to install an unsupported macOS version? Is it just a hobby?

cap_walker_666

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
At this point it's a supported OS. This MacBook natively supports LION.

These machines will be resold so nothing on them requiring special handling.

Is this a hobby ? Yes and no. I'm hoping to repurpose these as an additional income. Is learning about, in this case, the boot process, a hobby ? Sure. I've made my avocation into vocation since 1982.

As to why, well first off it's the single Mac Pro with the unsupported OS. It's part business and part hobby too. I'm developing an app that uses a smartphone to update a local database for processing.The Mac Pro will be the one to hold the database.

I'm disabled on a fixed income. That allows me time for projects such as repurposing these machines, develop an app and learn more programming. This last goal fits in well with learning about the patching software and why it's needed. What language it's in, etc.

Off topic but relevant: I achieved a professional degree, a doctorate, but the field was too crowded. My hobby of computers allowed me to change professions. I added sysoping to a direct competitor to MS as a hobby/job. My disability has given me other professional trainings resulting in other jobs.

Reactions: mystery hill

mystery hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2021
My first step was to use the standard method to create a USB that would install LION. Createinstallmedia. Then I put it in the machine boot with the ALT key, choose the installer when the options appear. Then it boots right back ... to Snow Leopard .
Is this only happening on this batch of Macs? I have created a bootable Lion USB a while ago, and didn't have any problem with the installation.

Could you provide the model of the Macs please?

cap_walker_666

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
Is this only happening on this batch of Macs? I have created a bootable Lion USB a while ago, and didn't have any problem with the installation.

Sure, it's one of the first MacBooks. A White one. Do you want exact from "About This Mac" ? I'm reinstalling right now so I'd have to post that later.

I did notice that while trying to upgrade to LION (just created a new disk) it said "Cannot Upgrade THIS Version of OS." So I erased the drive and it's trying now. Another abnormal reaction is upon boot it went to Recovery.

Off topic: Are you close to Boone, NC ? I ask because there is an attraction there called "Mystery Hill"

cap_walker_666

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020

Ok, seems this DMG properly loaded LION. These two are 2009 13" MacBooks White.
Now just for intellectual curiosity I'm going to ty EL CAP.

On another note quite a few older OS and symptoms can no longer reach ICLOUD. Seems the certificates used to verify "safe" sites has expired.

cap_walker_666

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
I'm recycling some donated computers that Goodwill here resells. Of course these have reached the end of their lifecycle so they usually only support snow leopard. The next step is trying a more recent OS.

So I try creating a truly bootable USB. I verify them by using System Preferences > Startup Disk to see if it appears. The easiest way I've found has been to use Disk Utility to restore a DMG image to the USB drive. If one isn't online I use the INSTALLESD.DMG from the installer.

I do this because the new installers available now also don't create a bootable disk. In addition to testing for STARTUP DISK there should be a BOOT.EFI file in the System/Library/Coreservices directory. Even then this method isn't 100% effective.

My next step would be to boot one of my known good machines into Recovery and target the USB. Coincidentally all my other machines run either Sierra, High Sierra or Big Sur. Neither is supported on the machines I'm working up.

So I'm looking for two answers

1) Why won't these techniques produce a bootable USB ?
2) Since these methods haven't worked, what will ?

[I've created a new, separate, thread since it has to do with the boot process and various computers. If this is in violation of forum guidelines please let me know.]

I've continued trying to research answers. There seems to be numerous threads on just this topic: El Capitan installers won't boot and install. Mine is neither hardware since I've changed out USB drives, changed ports, had other USB configuration boot fine from same USB drive and same port.

I remain, stumped.

cap_walker_666

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
I see more and more threads about this exact issue. There's all sorts of resolutions and possible resolutions. One was how I setup my Mac Pro (I've yet to have it work on my MacBook) where Disk Utility is used to put the DMG (Disk iMaGe file) onto the drive. My solutions do NOT come with a separate .app that's the installer.

So far I understand that a boot.efi file must be in /system/library/coreservices. There must be the equivalent of the old "Autoexec.bat" that directs the first steps AFTER the boot routine. So I'm reading in "The Eclectic Company" articles for more info

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I would install whatever version of the OS will get a particular Mac to boot.
And then... go from there.

Much is dependent on THE YEAR the Mac (in question) was released.
Go to everymac.com to find out what is the "minimum version" of the OS that works for an individual Mac (the OS it shipped with) and also the last version of the OS a particular Mac can run.

I wouldn't fool with the "createinstallmedia" b.s.
Instead, I'd use either DiskMaker X or Install Disk Creator. Both of these are free.
BE AWARE that there are differing versions of these utilities, depending [again] on THE VERSION of the OS for which you're trying to create a bootable USB flash drive.

Another way to do it:
Create a drive (partitioned) that has various "base versions" of the OS installed on them (i.e., pristine versions that have not yet had their first user accounts established). Then use CarbonCopyClone to clone these to the drives of the "targets".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.