Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Antares23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2014
Chartres, France
Hi,
I have a 2006 MacBook Pro and I want to install Tiger on it (dualboot with Snow Leopard)
I tried to restore the Tiger DVD to a usb stick with the Disk Utility (GUID partition scheme and everything)
But it doesn't appear on the boot menu (it appear on the desktop when booted tho)
So, what can I do ? I don't think I did something wrong because when I do the exact same thing with Leopard or Snow Leopard DVD, it does appear and I can boot on it.
Or Tiger can't be booted from USB ?
The SuperDrive is completely dead, that's why USB is my only choice, I tried 6 different USB stick and 2 external HDD, but It does the same thing
Do you have any idea on how I can make it work ? I even tired to restore the DMG on a partition on the MBP, but I still does not appear
Thank you, bye :)
PS: I know Tiger is completely obsolete, but I don't care, I want Tiger on my MBP for the fun, Snow Leopard will stay the main OS on this MacBook and I won't give up until it's installed ;)
PS2: I don't have any other Mac so the Target Disc Mode isn't possible :(

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I looked at everymac.com, and it says the 2006 MacBooks need os 10.4.8.

It's -possible- that the version of the 10.4 (tiger) DVD you have IS TOO OLD to boot the MacBook you have.

I could be wrong...

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
I think @Fishrrman is onto it with his comment. I was working on a 2010 (?) MBP recently that had shipped with 10.6.4. I have 10.6.3 on USB, created from Apple's DVD. It would install on the Mac, but the Mac wouldn't boot properly. Ultimately I had to target disk it to another Mac that was running 10.6.3, run the 10.6.8 updater from there, point it at the MBP, and installed the update. Booted fine after.

If you can get the newest Tiger combo updater, you could try installing it from 10.6?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You'll only be able to boot from and install Tiger if it is from that Macbook's grey restore disc. I suggest formatting the USB drive as GUID with HFS+ and using Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the Tiger DVD onto the USB drive. Restoring with Disk Utility is fussy and often doesn't work properly.

Antares23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2014
Chartres, France
So because I couldn't find a way to install Tiger on this MacBook Pro, I installed Lion (10.7.2+modified Kext+modified boot.efi+deleted PlatformSupport.plist+DP1 Finder) and it works !
Thanks to @dosdude1 tutorial on YouTube ;)
It see my Core Duo as a Core Solo tho, I don't know why x)
Capture d’écran 2018-03-30 à 10.42.12.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.