Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jparker402

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Bellevue, NE
Would like to create a new Photos Library on my MacBook Air running Monterey 12.2. Found Apple Support article and YouTube videos explaining to hold Option and select Photos Library in dock. That gives me options, but opening a new Photos Library is not one of them. Never tried this before, so don't know if 12.2 update goofed something up or not. Thanks!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If you hold Option, then click on the Photos app icon in the Dock, you should get a window allowing to to both choose a different Photos library from a list, and the choice to "Create New..." by clicking the "Create New..." button. There's also a button for "Other Library"
I'm using Monterey 12.3 beta, but it's no different in Monterey than in Mojave. I don't actually keep a Photos icon in my Dock, so I have to Option-doubleclick the Photos app - same exact result.
If that is not what you see, how about a screen shot of what YOU get?

jparker402

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Bellevue, NE
Screen Shot 2022-02-01 at 7.02.18 AM.png

I get this.

jparker402

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Bellevue, NE
Screen Shot 2022-02-01 at 8.32.03 AM.png

I thought what I had originally read said that Photos was suppose to be turned off to start. But here I went ahead and turned it on first. Still do not see anything about a new Library option. Clearly, since others seem to find that option, I am doing something wrong. But I do not know what.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I misread the directions posted by DeltaMac. He's saying to hold down the OPTION key, then open the Photos app. He's NOT saying that a list of options will appear in the Dock icon, but that when the Photos app launches with OPTION key held down, it presents a window and one of the choices there is to create a new library.

Be sure to hold the OPTION key down until after Photos has launched. It needs to see that key pressed, otherwise it won't be able to see anything different.

Reactions: jparker402

jparker402

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Bellevue, NE
I misread the directions posted by DeltaMac. He's saying to hold down the OPTION key, then open the Photos app. He's NOT saying that a list of options will appear in the Dock icon, but that when the Photos app launches with OPTION key held down, it presents a window and one of the choices there is to create a new library.

Be sure to hold the OPTION key down until after Photos has launched. It needs to see that key pressed, otherwise it won't be able to see anything different.
That works!!! Thank you, thank you! The "trick" apparently is to hold down the Option key and keep it held down all the way through Photos launching.

Reactions: DeltaMac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.