Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stewart869

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2020
Hi, guys. I have a small fishing supplies. And I decided to boost my income by creating a website. My business partner told me that we could try Magento system for it. Do you have any insights? Which CRM would you suggest?

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I don't know too much but there is also shopify and you can use services like SquareSpace to make a website, its really easy for any one that is computer savvy.

That being said, gaining customres to come to your site for purchases would be difficult. You might wan to list on ebay and Amazon where all the customers are searching.

EDIT: I checked squarespace and the buil-in WYSIWYG editor is pretty horrible, try another service. Weebly was better.

Last edited:

tsd

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2007
Pennsylvania
Squarespace is easiest, followed by Shopify, followed by WooCommerce. You can do anything with WooCommerce but you need to be a developer (or be able to pay for a lot of plugins) to do it. I would only recommend one of those three and would not recommend Magento. That recommendation could change, though. The landscape is constantly shifting on this. Good luck!??

tsd

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2007
Pennsylvania
One other thought. You mentioned a CRM. If you’re thinking about something like Salesforce or Hubspot or Active Campaign, you’ll want to create a website and e-commerce platform that can connect to the CRM, preferably natively. Might be worth a chat with your top CRM options to ask about that specifically. If you have a preferred CRM, you can let their tech team guide you to their preferred e-commerce platform. Be prepared to hire a web developer.

sahuanjana795

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2021
Bengaluru
Squarespace is easiest, followed by Shopify, followed by WooCommerce. You can do anything with WooCommerce but you need to be a developer (or be able to pay for a lot of plugins) to do it. I would only recommend one of those three and would not recommend Magento. That recommendation could change, though. The landscape is constantly shifting on this. Good luck!??
nice one

breywhite9377

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2020
You can go with WordPress if you want to create an attractive and SEO-friendly website, as there are various plugins through which you can include a lot of features in your website and also make it user-friendly to improve the user experience.
If you do not have much time and you don't wanna put much effort into it, then Shopify can be a good option to go with.
Hope it helps.

rpgprogrammers

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2021
United States
To create a new e-commerce website you can select any platforms such BigCommerce, Wix, Squarespace, Shopify, Magento, and more. but if you are new in IT you can choose WordPress for a simple starting.

maxsquared

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2009
London
Hi, guys. I have a small fishing supplies. And I decided to boost my income by creating a website. My business partner told me that we could try Magento system for it. Do you have any insights? Which CRM would you suggest?
Our company has replatformed from Magento to Shopify Plus, for someone who's a beginner in this, I suggest to use Shopify. To ensure Magento configured properly, you will need to know PHP, database and etc. Shopify has cheaper tiers like ($49 a months plus transaction fees) it's worth a try, there are ready made templates, and there are apps as well you can add to your site. It's pretty good.

swetajoshi

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2021
India
yes, I agree with you Currently, Magento is the most reliable best eCommerce platform in the market today! Magento offers full control over features and options to design, customize and frame as per the need of online sellers and market trends. Magento has updated both the open-source and enterprise edition and now it comes by the name of Magento community and Magento commerce edition. The community edition is free to download, however, a seller needs to pay the license fee if the commerce edition order will be placed.

Greenhoe

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2008
I run a pretty decent size e-commerce site https://toolcurve.com selling woodworking tools. The website is built on WooCommerce / Wordpress and I custom code and design the entire site. I have a pretty good background with all the platforms. The decision comes down to two main things. Are you looking to get a site up and going and focus on your product, or do you want more control over the site and the functionality?

If you are looking to just get the site up and running then I would go with Shopify, it's very user-friendly and easy to get going but it's not as easy to add or adjust certain things that are not built into the core function of Shoify.

If you know how to code or have a developer then WooCommerce is what I prefer since it's open-source and you can adjust/modify anything you want with the right skill. You also have a lot more control over the SEO, and make adjustments when looking to fix things in the theme for google's core web vitals.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Has anyone used Godaddy's e-commerce service? It looks like $13/month for the first year then double that after.

Greenhoe

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2008
Has anyone used Godaddy's e-commerce service? It looks like $13/month for the first year then double that after.
I would stay away from anything with Godaddy, overall it's very basic and won't scale well at all. if you don't want to host it yourself just go with shopify.

ankitdixit

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2022
India
I'm going to answer this question assuming you don't have experience building a website, or that you're a business owner who doesn't want to waste effort trying to be an IT person along with the myriad of other things you need to be to run a business.

The process starts with buying a domain name and a hosting plan, then subscribing to your favourite ecommerce platform. You then set up a template, edit the website, upload the products, and set up payments and shipping details. The maintenance is all taken care of by the platform, of course.

1. Decide on a domain name. Get started with a domain name that identifies your website to customers. ...
  2. Choose your site builder. ...
  3. Select a theme. ...
  4. Add product photos and descriptions. ...
  5. Create your other pages. ...
  6. Set up payment processing

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
I'm going to answer this question assuming you don't have experience building a website, or that you're a business owner who doesn't want to waste effort trying to be an IT person along with the myriad of other things you need to be to run a business.

The process starts with buying a domain name and a hosting plan, then subscribing to your favourite ecommerce platform. You then set up a template, edit the website, upload the products, and set up payments and shipping details. The maintenance is all taken care of by the platform, of course.

1. Decide on a domain name. Get started with a domain name that identifies your website to customers. ...
  2. Choose your site builder. ...
  3. Select a theme. ...
  4. Add product photos and descriptions. ...
  5. Create your other pages. ...
  6. Set up payment processing

Thanks, those steps just about match up the process I wound up going through. She wound up going with GoDaddy because everything they offered met her needs, and it was easy enough to set up. Plus it seemed the percentage deductions for collecting payments was less than many other options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.