Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tmcdanel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
Macbook Pro Catalina 10.15.7

i made a set of timelapse images using a Canon Rebel & Magic Lantern. i want to turn it into an .mp4 video. i understand that Quicktime v10.5 can do this, but the slowest frame rate is about 24 frames per second. i want frame rates of only 6 or even 2 frames per second. i used to use Quicktime v7 but it will not run on Catalina anymore.

What Catalina software will create a 2 frames/sec video from an image sequence?

tmcdanel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
iMovie will do that. Just set the time for photos in iMovie Preferences.
Ok, thanks for answering, Mr Braine. But no, i can't see any facility for exporting anything like that. i set the preferences:
Screen Shot 2021-09-12 at 3.20.24 PM.png

to duration .2 seconds and 0 transition, if that makes any sense, and i cannot see video creation. i think that's designed for titles and transitions. i'm pretty ignorant of the modern iMovie, but unless you can help me with specifics, can't see it working.

Thanks for your reply though.
terry

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-12 at 3.20.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-12 at 3.20.09 PM.png
    414.4 KB · Views: 215

tmcdanel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
Thank you both, Mr Braine and Slartibart for your patience and persistence. i did indeed get it to work as you described. i posted this question on another site, so i outlined your answers and will post it here in case it may be helpful to another person with this question:

A rather unsatisfying IMO, but workable solution is to use iMovie. The work around is to create a movie with the jpegs, essentially setting them as a sequence of stills.

Then go to iMovie preferences,
- Set "Photo placement" to Fit (the default is Ken Burns)
- Change the "Photo duration" of stills to a fraction of a second, say .2/frames per second
- Reduce the "Transition" to 0.0

Finally File > Share > File
to export it as an .mp4 file.

All this because some Apple software engineer didn't want to bother allowing the frame rate on a Quicktime v10 export to be settable to any number. And we cannot have discussions like this on the Apple Support site because it is bad marketing.
Which is Why software versions peak and then degrade over time!!

i am hoping there is an open source or useful video editing app that is comparable to the old Quicktime 7 editing capacity. i have not cared for iMovie since version 6. Please post it here if you have other software you prefer for time lapse sequence conversion.

Thanks again to all the helpful souls here.

Reactions: jheiss and DS4
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.