Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xsquid

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015
Of course you can make a bootable usb. But that is not what this thread is about.

Well duh, that's why I added the DVD part.

Your suggestion for how to make a bootable DVD will not work. It's not that simple.

Care to explain why? You are telling me it's not possible to burn from one bootable media to another? When did that happen.

I already said how to do it.

Either your name is macrumors, you are a moderator or you do not own the forum or thread.

xsquid

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015
I could prove that your method won't work, but that would require me to turn one of my blank dual layer dvds into a coaster which I don't want to do.

My method has already been proven to work. I (and several others) have used it to not only create a bootable dvd, but also to use the dvd to install yosemite.

I am not averse to other methods being created. In fact I encourage alternatives - provided they have been proven to work.

Whatever method is posted here, it should be accompanied by evidence that it works. Otherwise - if it doesn't - some people might try it and just end up with a coaster.

I am going to try it right now so stand by.

I also posed it as a question so lets be honest here, nobody should assume I said it works.

xsquid

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015
Yes. I know it was a question. I answered the question. But you didn't seem to accept my answer.

So the onus is on you to either prove me wrong and that your method works - or to admit I was right.

There's no onus, it was a question, it was posed at others. Can't you understand that? So far you have only been rude and childish.

xsquid

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015
The onus did not come from the question. I came when you did not accept my answer. Can't you understand that?

Anyway, I would be impressed if you actually do prove me wrong.

That's because your post was rude and childish, can't you understand that?

Anyway.

Create usb with diskmakerx, make new image with diskutility send dmg to desktop, burn dmg to dvd, booted into. Works like a charm.......so.

Set, match, game, slam dunk, schooled by old school. Feel bad now?

xsquid

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015
Booting the dvd isn't enough of a proof.

Try to use the dvd to actually install yosemite. If THAT works, then yes, you've slam dunked me.

It's a slam dunk, it works if it boots as diskutility makes a clone. So you can bite your lip and stamp your feet but it works.

I am NOT reinstalling yosemite just for you. I just started install but I will not reinstall. Stay in denial if you wish, I am out of here. School is out youngster.

xsquid

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015
Bla, bla, bla, sore loser.

Here's some of your own medicine, prove it. Back up your words and prove it doesn't work or admit I am right.

xsquid

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015
Well how have I lost?

You made a bootable dvd incapable if installing yosemite. Effectively a useless bootable coaster.

How exactly is the error message "bla, bla, bla"? It is proof your method does not work.

I think you need to accept that now.

Ah, the hypocrisy. You made the claim it does not work so prove it. I say it works. You are being childish, but i made a superduper backup yesterday so I will install and then restore from super duper just to end it.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Hmmm....

I tried your method a long time ago xsquid, and it didn't work. I made several bootables but could not create an installable. I wonder what you are doing differently than I did. Something must have changed since I tried this.

I'll try again when I get a chance and report back.

xsquid

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015
I'm not sure, you used diskmakerx and diskutility? Maybe something has changed as you said?

Hmmm....

I tried your method a long time ago xsquid, and it didn't work. I made several bootables but could not create an installable. I wonder what you are doing differently than I did. Something must have changed since I tried this.

I'll try again when I get a chance and report back.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
This arguement is the reason it's so much easier to make a USB bootable installer over a DVD, and since a newer OS comes out every few months, I can wipe the USB, and do it again, and again. Simple. Some don't know how or want to do simple. ;)

xsquid

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015
OK. Well the next thing (and perhaps this is en even better test of your method) is how successfully others will implement it.

I am not confident this will be a success.

I was motivated by just one comment by crjackson2134, namely "something must have changed" to contradict my earlier refusal to coasterize one of my blank dual layer dvds.

So I followed your method and (as expected) ended up with a coaster.

Odd. To summarize I hace a usb with 10.10.3 created earlier with diskmaker x, dmg created with diskutility. Burned to dvd. Not sure why you got a coaster. You sure you're not yanking my chain?

----------

This arguement is the reason it's so much easier to make a USB bootable installer over a DVD, and since a newer OS comes out every few months, I can wipe the USB, and do it again, and again. Simple. Some don't know how or want to do simple. ;)

Yes, I wipe and upgrade mine every version.

Last edited:

Melanie_T

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2015
The method from Post #17 works like a charm, except for one rocky spot:

You can no longer download 10.10.2 or 10.10.3!

The .IAProductInfo, however, is specific to the version you're installing.

So here's how to go about it for newer versions of Yosemite:

Follow the steps in post #17 to the point where you download the IAProductinfo_10_10_3.txt.

In a terminal window, type the following commands:

open /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg
diskutil info /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD
diskutil eject /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD

This will print out a lot of info, including a Volume UUID

Using the 10.10.3 version of the IAVolumeInfo from post #17, open it in an editor and replace the UUID in this line:

<string>x-osproduct://1F6CC20D-C9A3-304E-A2AD-D17E02759D94/OS%20X%20Install%20Data</string>

with the UUID found in the previous step. Then complete all remaining steps in post #17.

eZH

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2015
This is essential. I tried many methods including http://phillow.net/how-to-create-el-capitan-os-x-10-11-bootable-dvd/ and the result file had iso extension but have not recognized by OSX when my Zalman VE-200 mounted it as a Optical Disk Drive
I figured out that these https://eelf.ru/blog/73 commands are enough for me. Now installation process is in progress

9. Workaround the GPT DVD glitch.

hdiutil create -size 16674816b ~/Desktop/DVD-fix
hdiutil attach -nomount ~/Desktop/DVD-fix.dmg

Take note of the output, you will need it in the following commands, in my case '/dev/disk2'

diskutil partitionDisk /dev/diskZ 2 APM HFS+ fix_INSTALL_YOSEMITE 6936723456B HFS+ fix_RECOVERY_YOSEMITE R

donjames

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2015
Henderson, Texas
Create Yosemite Install and Recovery DVD

Hi there,

finally I managed to create the recovery partition with Apple's dmtest tool :) So here is the (mostly) complete guide:

0. What you need:

1. Create an empty disk image:

hdiutil create -size 16674816b ~/Desktop/DVD
hdiutil attach -nomount ~/Desktop/DVD.dmg

Take note of the output, you will need it in the following commands, in my case '/dev/disk1'

Hi,

In step 6, when I enter the command:
~/Desktop/RecoveryHDUpdate/RecoveryHDUpdate.pkg/Scripts/Tools/dmtest ensureRecoveryPartition /Volumes/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite/ /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg 0 0 /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.chunklist

I get the error:

Could not find disk for /Volumes/Install OS X Yosemite/

Can you tell me what's wrong.

Thanks,
donjames

2. Partition disk image and create one volume for the installer:

diskutil partitionDisk /dev/diskX 2 GPT HFS+ INSTALL_YOSEMITE 6936723456B "Free Space" "Free Space" R

Replace '/dev/diskX' with the actual output from 1., in my case '/dev/disk1'

3. Create the installer partition:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/ --volume /Volumes/INSTALL_YOSEMITE/

4. Copy the missing text file to the installer partition:

cp ~/Downloads/IAProductInfo_10_10_3.txt /Volumes/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite/.IAProductInfo

If you don't use the latest installer for Yosemite, replace ..._10_10_3_... with the matching version

5. Unpack the Lion Recovery Update v1.0

hdiutil attach -nobrowse ~/Downloads/RecoveryHDUpdate.dmg
pkgutil --expand /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Lion\ Recovery\ HD\ Update/RecoveryHDUpdate.pkg ~/Desktop/RecoveryHDUpdate/
hdiutil detach /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Lion\ Recovery\ HD\ Update/

6. Create a recovery partition on the disk image right behind the installer partition:

hdiutil attach -nobrowse /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg
~/Desktop/RecoveryHDUpdate/RecoveryHDUpdate.pkg/Scripts/Tools/dmtest ensureRecoveryPartition /Volumes/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite/ /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg 0 0 /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.chunklist
hdiutil detach /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/

7. Make recovery partition visible

diskutil list /Volumes/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite/

Look for the enumeration of the recovery partition 'Recovery HD', you will need it in the next command, in my case 3

asr adjust --target /dev/diskXsY -settype Apple_HFS
diskutil mount /dev/diskXsY

Look at 1. for the actual value of X, in my case '/dev/disk1'
Look at the previous command for the actual value of Y, in my case '3' so together its '/dev/disk1s3'

8. Finish work?

Actually we should burn the image at this point and we would be done. But there's one glitch: We had to use GPT for the dmtest tool. Unfortunately I've not been able to burn a DVD with GPT AND two partitions. The partitions are always missing on the DVD (not on the disk image, just on the physical DVD). So as a workaround we have to move stuff to a second disk image with MBR or APM...

9. Workaround the GPT DVD glitch.

Take note of the output, you will need it in the following commands, in my case '/dev/disk2'

diskutil partitionDisk /dev/diskZ 2 APM HFS+ fix_INSTALL_YOSEMITE 6936723456B HFS+ fix_RECOVERY_YOSEMITE R

Replace '/dev/diskZ' with the actual output from the previous command, in my case '/dev/disk2'

asr restore --source /Volumes/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite --target /Volumes/fix_INSTALL_YOSEMITE --erase
asr restore --source /Volumes/Recovery\ HD --target /Volumes/fix_RECOVERY_YOSEMITE --erase

hdiutil detach /dev/diskZ

Look above for the actual value of Z, in my case '/dev/disk2'

10. Finish work!

hdiutil detach /dev/diskX

Look at 1. for the actual value of X, in my case '/dev/disk1'

hdiutil burn ~/Desktop/DVD-fix.dmg

I hope this helps! In case you see some optimization, just let me know. I think it would be nice to minimize user interaction, but I'm not going into sed or awk now ... and of course would be much better without the workaround for GPT ... so if you know how to burn GPT with two partitions to DVD ...

Thanks go to a lot of people who helped me with bits and pieces of their knowledge:

Regards, Mike

HI,

I just wanted you to know that I was able to make a boot dvd. I copied the instructions to a text editor. I then copied and pasted from the text editor to the command line. The boot dvd shows up in the "Startup Disks". Evidently, copying directly from the web page puts hidden characters into the command line that can cause errors. I used Text Wrangler which shows line numbers. Some of the command lines are longer than the width of the screen and it is difficult to tell where one command ends and the next one starts.

Update: I was able to install Yosemite 10.10.5 on to a clean hard drive on my Macpro3,1. There was one small problem right at the end of the install on the "Setting up your Mac..." screen. The installer hangs there after completing the first two items on its list. I had to turn off my computer by holding down the start button. I then rebooted from the hard drive and the install continued where it stopped before and finished the install. As far as I can tell, the install was perfect.

Thanks,

donjames

Last edited:

MikeLiteToo

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2015
Create El Capitan Install and Recovery DVD

WARNING: The disk will not boot in the moment. I'm working on it. There is a problem with the UUID in .IAProductInfo. I'll try to figure it out.

Hello again,

yesterday I took the time to upgrade the guide to El Capitan and to include the information on the volume UUID provided by Melanie_T. I also tried to format the commands in a better way as donjames suggested. So here are the updated instructions:

0. What you need:

1. Create an empty disk image:

Code:
hdiutil create -size 16674816b ~/Desktop/DVD
hdiutil attach -nomount ~/Desktop/DVD.dmg

Take note of the output, you will need it in the following commands. In my case it's '/dev/disk2'

2. Partition disk image and create one volume for the installer:

Code:
diskutil partitionDisk /dev/diskX 2 GPT HFS+ INSTALL_EL_CAPITAN 6936723456B "Free Space" "Free Space" R

Replace '/dev/diskX' with the actual output from 1., in my case '/dev/disk2'

3. Create the installer partition:

Code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/ --volume /Volumes/INSTALL_EL_CAPITAN/

4. Create the missing text file:

Code:
hdiutil attach -nobrowse /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg
diskutil info /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD

Take note of the value of volume UUID, in the case of Mac OS X 10.11.3 it's '782B5304-0249-36D0-97FA-D39A7A22EE32'. Create a text file with your favorite text editor and enter the following code:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "[URL]http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd[/URL]">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
  <key>Product URL</key>
  <string>x-osproduct://volume UUID/OS%20X%20Install%20Data</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Replace 'volume UUID' with the value of volume UUID from above and save the file as '/Volumes/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan/.IAProductInfo'

5. Unpack the Lion Recovery Update v1.0:

Code:
hdiutil attach -nobrowse ~/Downloads/RecoveryHDUpdate.dmg
pkgutil --expand /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Lion\ Recovery\ HD\ Update/RecoveryHDUpdate.pkg ~/Desktop/RecoveryHDUpdate/
hdiutil detach /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Lion\ Recovery\ HD\ Update/

6. Create a recovery partition on the disk image right behind the installer partition:

Code:
~/Desktop/RecoveryHDUpdate/RecoveryHDUpdate.pkg/Scripts/Tools/dmtest ensureRecoveryPartition /Volumes/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan/ /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg 0 0 /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.chunklist
hdiutil detach /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/

7. Make recovery partition visible:

Code:
diskutil list /Volumes/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan/

Look for the enumeration of the recovery partition 'Recovery HD', you will need it in the next command. In my case it's '3'

Code:
asr adjust --target /dev/diskXsY -settype Apple_HFS
diskutil mount /dev/diskXsY

Look at 1. for the actual value of X, in my case '2'
Look at the previous command for the actual value of Y, in my case '3'. So together it's '/dev/disk2s3'

8. Finish work?

Actually we should burn the image at this point and we would be done. But there's one glitch: We had to use GPT for the dmtest tool. Unfortunately I've not been able to burn a DVD with GPT AND two partitions. The partitions are always missing on the DVD (not on the disk image, just on the physical DVD). So as a workaround we have to move stuff to a second disk image with MBR or APM...

9. Workaround the GPT DVD glitch:

Code:

Take note of the output, you will need it in the following commands. In my case it's '/dev/disk3'

Code:
diskutil partitionDisk /dev/diskZ 2 APM HFS+ fix_INSTALL_EL_CAPITAN 6936723456B HFS+ fix_RECOVERY_EL_CAPITAN R

Replace '/dev/diskZ' with the actual output from the previous command, in my case '/dev/disk3'

Code:
asr restore --source /Volumes/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan --target /Volumes/fix_INSTALL_EL_CAPITAN --erase
asr restore --source /Volumes/Recovery\ HD --target /Volumes/fix_RECOVERY_EL_CAPITAN --erase

Code:
hdiutil detach /dev/diskZ

Look above for the actual value of Z, in my case '3'

10. Finish work!

Code:
hdiutil detach /dev/diskX

Look at 1. for the actual value of X, in my case '2'

Code:
hdiutil burn ~/Desktop/DVD-fix.dmg

I hope this helps! In case you see some optimization, just let me know. I think it would be nice to minimize user interaction, but I'm not going into sed or awk now ... and of course would be much better without the workaround for GPT ... so if you know how to burn GPT with two partitions to DVD ...

Thanks go to a lot of people who helped me with bits and pieces of their knowledge:

Regards, Mike

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.