Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Is there a way to customize Notifications so that notifications are displayed on the Lock Screen but the display doesn't turn on for every new message? I would like to see new notifications manually only when you click the power or Home button. I tried Do Not Disturb (not sure if that's the feature to use for this case) but it affects all the system-wide notifications not specific to one app.
I am looking to customize notifications for WhatsApp/Messaging apps only, so that when there is a lot of chatter going on in the group, the screen doesn't turn-on for every single message but notifications for new messages can still be viewed on the Lock Screen manually by pressing the Home/Power button. Under Notifications -> WhatsApp, If I turn off notifications on Lock Screen then I have to unlock the phone to see if there are any new messages. It would be nice to have notifications on the Lock Screen without the display turning on for every single message.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Currently, there is no option for that, and I don’t see much point of a notification coming in but not turning on the display. With that being said, I do see your idea being useful sometimes, especially when lots of notifications are coming in. My iPad even drained its power over 60% (!) one day without even being used at all, and I thought part of the culprit was notifications keeping the screen on for too long.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Is there a way to customize Notifications so that notifications are displayed on the Lock Screen but the display doesn't turn on for every new message? I would like to see new notifications manually only when you click the power or Home button. I tried Do Not Disturb (not sure if that's the feature to use for this case) but it affects all the system-wide notifications not specific to one app.
I am looking to customize notifications for WhatsApp/Messaging apps only, so that when there is a lot of chatter going on in the group, the screen doesn't turn-on for every single message but notifications for new messages can still be viewed on the Lock Screen manually by pressing the Home/Power button. Under Notifications -> WhatsApp, If I turn off notifications on Lock Screen then I have to unlock the phone to see if there are any new messages. It would be nice to have notifications on the Lock Screen without the display turning on for every single message.
The closest you can get to that is to disable lock screen notifications but leave Notification Center notifications, and have Notification Center be accessible from the lock screen. That way, while you won’t be able to see those notifications with a simile press of a button, you could with a press of a button and a swipe (to see the Notification Center).

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
For WhatsApp, I have set notifications to show only on the Notification Center and Lock Screen and Banner are unchecked. Under Settings -> Notifications, I have set Show Previews to Always, but I don't see a separate notifications pane dropping down on the Lock Screeen when I swipe. Notifications for other apps are displayed on the Lock Screen itself, so I still cannot manually invoke WhatsApp notifications.

The closest you can get to that is to disable lock screen notifications but leave Notification Center notifications, and have Notification Center be accessible from the lock screen. That way, while you won’t be able to see those notifications with a simile press of a button, you could with a press of a button and a swipe (to see the Notification Center).

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
For WhatsApp, I have set notifications to show only on the Notification Center and Lock Screen and Banner are unchecked. Under Settings -> Notifications, I have set Show Previews to Always, but I don't see a separate notifications pane dropping down on the Lock Screeen when I swipe. Notifications for other apps are displayed on the Lock Screen itself, so I still cannot manually invoke WhatsApp notifications.
Ah, yes, it's been a little while since I've played around with notification settings, but you are right, if you disable Lock Screen notifications then you won't see the notification in Notification Center when you access it from the lock screen while the phone is locked, you'd have to unlock the phone first and then check Notification Center.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I found a workaround to this - In WhatsApp, you can swipe left on a particular chat and select Mute which mutes notifications for that particular chat only while notifications for other chats can still show up. This way, you can selectively silence a particular chat. This is WhatsApp specific workaround, it would be pretty handy if iOS offers such a functionality system-wide. It's useful when your phone is away or sleeping at night but frequent incoming notifications turn-on the screen and thus unnecessarily using up battery even when you are checking notifications.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I found a workaround to this - In WhatsApp, you can swipe left on a particular chat and select Mute which mutes notifications for that particular chat only while notifications for other chats can still show up. This way, you can selectively silence a particular chat. This is WhatsApp specific workaround, it would be pretty handy if iOS offers such a functionality system-wide. It's useful when your phone is away or sleeping at night but frequent incoming notifications turn-on the screen and thus unnecessarily using up battery even when you are checking notifications.
Well, you can do the same type of thing in Messages app as well.

That aside, you can also lay down your phone with its screen down and notifications shouldn’t light up the screen.

Furthermore, for something like night time, you can also make use of Do Not Disturb.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I am looking to silence only one app while still allowing notifications from other apps. Do Not Disturb silences all the apps.
I wasn't aware that phone with its screen down doesn't light up the screen.. can't really test it unless I keep it on a glass table, that's something good to know though not sure if this works for 5S, will test it myself.

Well, you can do the same type of thing in Messages app as well.

That aside, you can also lay down your phone with its screen down and notifications shouldn’t light up the screen.

Furthermore, for something like night time, you can also make use of Do Not Disturb.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I am looking to silence only one app while still allowing notifications from other apps. Do Not Disturb silences all the apps.
I wasn't aware that phone with its screen down doesn't light up the screen.. can't really test it unless I keep it on a glass table, that's something good to know though not sure if this works for 5S, will test it myself.
Sounds like it should work on the 5S: https://www.howtogeek.com/272403/place-your-iphone-face-down-to-save-battery-life/

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Put your hand in front of the sensor, same effect.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I think that's probably it!!
I was thinking it uses gyroscope or similar sensor to determine the orientation, so to test I just held the phone face down in air and the display turned on with the new notification. So it's probably the proximity sensor which determines whether to turn the display on or not and if that's the case then you don't even have to keep it face down, you can just put a piece of paper on top to cover the sensor.. will test it.
Put your hand in front of the sensor, same effect.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
I think that's probably it!!
I was thinking it uses gyroscope or similar sensor to determine the orientation, so to test I just held the phone face down in air and the display turned on with the new notification. So it's probably the proximity sensor which determines whether to turn the display on or not and if that's the case then you don't even have to keep it face down, you can just put a piece of paper on top to cover the sensor.. will test it.
Yes it’s the proximity sensor. That’s also what turns off the screen during a phone call.

That will work too. It also doesn’t turn on when your phone is in your pocket.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.