Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michael-appleru

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Minnesota
Does any one know what do do if you what to daisy chain a DVD Burner and External HD if You want to burn files on an External HD using an External DVD Burner????

JHacker

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
East Coast
I don't think it's going to hurt to try either way. The only thing that might happen is that it won't work one way. If that's the cause, just switch them around. You aren't going to blow anything up.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
The FireWire interface is supposed to be smart enough to figure this all out by itself. In fact I heard somewhere that if you copy from a FW HD to a FW DVD it can even bypass the computer so they talk directly to each other? The only thing I'd caution you about, is to ensure your external HD has its own power supply -- some little ones take all their power from the FW bus -- if you have to run it that way, make sure the HD is first on the chain. FYI I go iBook --> Lacie External HD --> Lacie External DVD Burner via FW all the time with no problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.