Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wirtandi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
Hi all

I am on MacOS Monterey. I am trying to delete one particular date from the Time Machine on my SSD Storage. How exactly do I do this? I have read some people say I cannot do it if I am on APFS, only can do it on HFS. How do I know which one mine is?

And if I am indeed on APFS, surely there is still a solution to this?

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
You can delete a Time Machine backup from an APFS volume. I just tried it on my external APFS-formatted SSD.

To find out how your backup drive is formatted, open Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities). Tap on the backup drive in the left side and it will show the formatting and storage detail on the right side.

In the drive itself, to delete a specific backup, select that date, right click and choose Delete Immediately.

I'm curious what steps you tried before posting to delete that file?

wirtandi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
You can delete a Time Machine backup from an APFS volume. I just tried it on my external APFS-formatted SSD.

To find out how your backup drive is formatted, open Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities). Tap on the backup drive in the left side and it will show the formatting and storage detail on the right side.

In the drive itself, to delete a specific backup, select that date, right click and choose Delete Immediately.

I'm curious what steps you tried before posting to delete that file?
I deleted the specific backup by going to Finder and then to my drive. However, when i go inside time machine to check, it is still there. and if i eject the disk and put it back in, it comes back, the supposedly deleted backup is still there

Last edited:

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I deleted the specific backup by going to Finder and then to my drive. However, when i go inside time machine to check, it is still there. and if i eject the disk and put it back in, it comes back, the supposedly deleted backup is still there
You may need to use Terminal to delete the local snapshot. I haven't tried this and can't vouch for these instructions (or the site), but you could try what's described in this article concerning the snapshots: https://iboysoft.com/howto/delete-time-machine-backups.html#how-to-delete-time-machine-snapshots

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
If your TM volume is APFS, delete a single TM snapshot with one of these:

1) In Terminal
sudo tmutil delete -d /Volumes/<TM name> -t <yyyy-mm-dd-hhmmss>
replacing <TM name> with the name of your TM volume, and <yyyy-mm-dd-hhmmss> with a date-time as shown in Finder.

2) In Disk Utility:
a) Select the TM volume,
b) In View menu choose "show APFS Snapshots" and wait for it to complete analysing them,
c) Control-click (right-click) on a snapshot and choose Delete.

1659573396138.png

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
You may need to use Terminal to delete the local snapshot. I haven't tried this and can't vouch for these instructions (or the site), but you could try what's described in this article concerning the snapshots: https://iboysoft.com/howto/delete-time-machine-backups.html#how-to-delete-time-machine-snapshots
I don't like instructions (for HFS format backups) which suggest deleting in Finder - should always use tmutil. The article is a strange mix of instructions for HFS and APFS format backups without making that clear. Confusing.

Reactions: 0128672

wirtandi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
If your TM volume is APFS, delete a single TM snapshot with one of these:

1) In Terminal
sudo tmutil delete -d /Volumes/<TM name> -t <yyyy-mm-dd-hhmmss>
replacing <TM name> with the name of your TM volume, and <yyyy-mm-dd-hhmmss> with a date-time as shown in Finder.

2) In Disk Utility:
a) Select the TM volume,
b) In View menu choose "show APFS Snapshots" and wait for it to complete analysing them,
c) Control-click (right-click) on a snapshot and choose Delete.

View attachment 2038768
Thank you for this, will try this later and report back

wirtandi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
its a samsung T5 SSD, the size is maybe close to 170GB ? Yeah It just keeps saying loading....sigh

Im not that familiar with the terminal, and kinda afraid I might delete something else instead

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
I tried clicking on the "Show APFS Snapshots" option on my external SSD TM Volume. I'm seeing the same thing: it just spins on "Loading...". But Activity Monitor doesn't show any I/O going on, so I don't think it's working very hard.
EPTM.jpg

Last edited:

wirtandi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
I tried clicking on the "Show APFS Snapshots" option on my external SSD TM Volume. I'm seeing the same thing: it just spins on "Loading...". But Activity Monitor doesn't show any I/O going on, so I don't think it's working very hard. View attachment 2038987
This is it, exactly the same as me. Says loading forever.....

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
This is it, exactly the same as me. Says loading forever.....
Make sure that Time Machine is not doing a backup or active some way. Suggest disabling automatic TM backup and reboot. (I don't know if that will make a differences but seems like the next thing to try.)

wirtandi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
Yes, I always turn off automatic backups.

Sigh, guess theres no other way but to try terminal which im not familiar with.....or maybe just leave this one be, and i have learned how to exclude backups from TM, so going forward ill just exclude what i dont need

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.