Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KatKits

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2016
So this is what happened. I decided to empty my trash. Then, I received an error code that stated:

The operation can’t be completed because one or more required items can’t be found.
(Error code -43)

Then, I decided to try to rename it, because I thought that maybe renaming it would fix the problem. (I'm still pretty new to the mac). This is what I got back:

An unexpected error occurred (error code -8072).

I can't move it either, as this shows up:

The operation can’t be completed because one or more required items can’t be found.
(Error code -43)

Can anyone help me?

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
Try rebooting in safe mode by holding down the shift key and see if you can then delete the item.

If not, reboot into Recovery mode by holding down command-R. Select Disk Utility. Then select Macintosh HD in the left pane and choose either Repair Disk or First Aid.

camomac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
Left Coast
Right click empty trash (on the trash icon) and hold down the Command key. This give you the option for Secure Empty Trash. Try that. Oops, I'm on Mavericks. For other OS's, Check this link HERE.

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
Boot into Recovery mode by booting while holding down the Command-R key combination.

Go into Disk Utility. Click on the line at the top left that shows the manufacturer of your hard drive. Then run either Repair Disk or First Aid.

The click on the next line down which is probably MacIntosh HD unless you have renamed your drive and run Repair Disk or First Aid again.

Then reboot and see if your problem is solved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.