Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidov85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2017
I created some kind of inception like situation on my Mac. It was acting out lately so I decided to do a clean install. When running disk utility after booting, I wanted to erase my drive but it showed OSX and OSX - Data. I could only erase OSX - Data so I did. When I tried to install Catalina, it said that I couldn't install it on the OSX volume. So I created a new volume called OSX - Data like the old one and that did the trick. But... Now I have 3 volumes on my PC:

1. OSX: the old operating system volume I guess. I can't remove this volume using disk utility
  2. OSX - Data: on which my new Catalina install was done (it shows the finder icon on that volume)
  3. OSX - Data - Data: In which my home folder is I guess (it shows a little house on the volume in disk utility)
How do I undo this mess? How do I get rid of the old volume (1) and rename my new volumes to OSX instead of "OSX - Data".

Everything works fine but it's just a big clusterf*ck of volumes now.
[automerge]1586952468[/automerge]
Would this be a solution?

Last edited:

davidov85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2017
I solved it.
1. Rename the old OSX volume to "Old OSX"
2. You can now delete that volume
3. Rename the other volumes to OSX and OSX - Data
4. Restart the installation procedure and go to the Disk Utility from the boot menu
5. You can now delete all volumes
6. Rename the remaining volume (it's called apple SSD or something)
7. Install catalina on that volume

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.