Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyx181x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
Hi there folks, so I rarely ever use the web browser version of the iCloud mail since I have it on my iPhone.

When I compose an email on my iPhone I have my suggested email addresses and recents how I want it.

However in the browser on iCloud when I compose a new email it suggests some old emails I don't have saved whats so ever on the iPhone mail.

I try hovering the mouse over the names in the drop down menu and there is no option to delete that email address. Your not even given the option to delete the email address if you press the right arrow icon as it only lists the person name and suggest category.

So I found a javascript that someone made that allows you to delete all recent emails (found here: https://infosecwriteups.com/how-app...adata-for-years-on-their-servers-2a61b1a3232d) which for the most part worked. However there are still email addresses that are "grouped" that the javascript could not remove.

I don't know if the browser version of iCloud mail doesn't sync with my iCloud in general to override these older suggest email addresses but they are somehow "stuck" in the server.

Has anyone been able to find a way to delete these?

xyz369

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2022
It looks like a problem that for years was when the search on the iPhone displayed deleted mails and addresses, and so on. Perhaps this bug is still in the web version, but it is unlikely that they will fix it since I think very few people use the web version of email.

From a technical point of view, all data is indexed for search and suggestion, such as address, date maybe even the text of the email. This data is stored in a separate database and is used only for searching. On the iPhone as I see they have solved this problem and when you delete something database will instantly be re-indexed.

supernet33

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2008
Anyone? This is really an annoying issue that I would like to get fixed.. Apple Support is useless.

Tadcaster

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2022
I have the same problem. I sometimes use a PC for emailing from iCloud, particularly when I need to keep my iPhone and iPad free for other things. The chain above is enlightening but the absence of an answer is frustrating - the numerous type ahead suggestions that appear create confusion in choosing the one that I want (including old work email addresses). The link below suggests that there should be an ability to erase them (see the extract from it below the link) but the erase button it refers to doesn't come up on the PC (using Chrome as the browser) or on the iPad (when I login to iCloud Mail using Safari as the browser).

Delete email address on iCloud.com​

• In Mail on iCloud.com, click new create button.
  • Type a new recipient’s name or email address in the To field.
  • Move the pointer over the list that shows up below the To field, then, at that point click red erase button to one side of a address or group of addresses you need iCloud Mail to quit suggesting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.