Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
ie How to delete contacts that are members of "all iphone" group in Apple Contacts app.

I can filter contacts by group in the Contact app, for example all "Google Contacts" group has my Google contacts, and "all iphone" has the locally stored contacts. I don't see a way to easily delete the hundreds of contacts the "all iphone" group.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
31F2AFD5-276F-4E8C-AC65-AD20D03E22CC.jpeg I guess I’m trying to understand why logging out of iCloud would have triggered that “save local copy” option in the first place, if your contacts are synced via Google rather than iCloud in the first place (as seen in this pic)?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Turn off iCloud for Contacts, choose "Keep on phone". Turn iCloud Contacts back on, click "Merge". Turn iCloud Contacts back off, then choose "Delete from phone".

If you have a PC/Mac, can then sign into iCloud and delete all the contacts from iCloud there, if so desired (Contacts > Settings icon > Select all, Delete). Can do it from iPhone with some fumbling (site does not display well on smaller screens), but easier on iPad or computer. From iPad/iPhone, need to press-hold the Refresh icon in the address/search bar of Safari to request "Desktop Site".

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
And just unchecking “All iPhone” under Groups doesn’t at least hide them? Or you want them gone for real?
That sort of hides them. I still see "linked contacts" at the bottom of each contact card and I honest cannot tell which of the 2 contacts - local or Google account - I'm viewing or editing. I'd rather just have one copy of each contact for simplicity's sake.
[doublepost=1519593493][/doublepost]
Turn off iCloud for Contacts, choose "Keep on phone". Turn iCloud Contacts back on, click "Merge". Turn iCloud Contacts back off, then choose "Delete from phone".

If you have a PC/Mac, can then sign into iCloud and delete all the contacts from iCloud there, if so desired (Contacts > Settings icon > Select all, Delete). Can do it from iPhone with some fumbling (site does not display well on smaller screens), but easier on iPad or computer. From iPad/iPhone, need to press-hold the Refresh icon in the address/search bar of Safari to request "Desktop Site".
iCloud contacts are disabled. I'm using Google contacts for my contacts but the issue is there are duplicates of my Google contacts on my iphone as "local" contacts.

ie Synced Google Contact iPhone Contact
Joe Smith . Joe Smith
Jane Doe Jane Doe
Apple Contacts shows the contact as a "linked contact . Here is an example:
Name: Jane Doe
Phone ...
Address ..
... bottom of contact info
Linked Contacts
- Google Account
Jane Doe
- iPhone
Jane Doe

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.