Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sultanoflondon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2013
Hi all,

I often use Command+W to close a window and sometimes accidentally hit Q instead, causing the application to quit. This is especially frustrating with Safari because this then closes all of my open tabs.

Can anyone suggest a way to delete the Command+Q function? This will mean that I won't accidentally do this.

Thank you!

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
System Prefs-->Keyboard-->App Shortcuts.

You can't change the Application Menu shortcuts, however, including Quit. You can Change Command-W to something else. Press +, type "Close," then press your new shortcut.

cpenner

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2013
Hi all,

I often use Command+W to close a window and sometimes accidentally hit Q instead, causing the application to quit. This is especially frustrating with Safari because this then closes all of my open tabs.

Can anyone suggest a way to delete the Command+Q function? This will mean that I won't accidentally do this.

Thank you!

I know this isn't a solution to your question, but doesn't opening Safari again open your tabs back to how you had them?

dsemf

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2014
System Prefs-->Keyboard-->App Shortcuts.

You can't change the Application Menu shortcuts, however, including Quit. You can Change Command-W to something else. Press +, type "Close," then press your new shortcut.
There was a recent thread on this but I cannot find it.

After pressing +, select Safari.app, enter the exact text of the menu entry, in this case Quit Safari and then the key combination. I use option-command-q. This works with Sierra.

DS

Reactions: Cougarcat

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I know this isn't a solution to your question, but doesn't opening Safari again open your tabs back to how you had them?
This is configurable via "Settings/General/Safari opens with", by setting it to "All windows from last session". I'm not sure what the default is, so it may need to be manually configured.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.